Come Alive Tonight

Pony Up

The next day Rory sat in her car sipping on a warm hot chocolate. Though it was a dazzling 80 degree day, it was winter out on the East Coast.

As she took her last sip, she turned off the engine and stepped out of the black Jetta.

Popping the trunk, she grabbed at a large, and rather bulky, duffle bag.

Slinging it over her shoulder, she returned to the side of the car and retrieved a striped bag.

She swung this over her shoulder as well, and fumbled with her keys.

Finally, the doors locked, and Rory set off for the office.

Just as she entered the building, the late bell rang. She shuffled over to the front desk, and smiled at the receptionist.

"Late again?" She asked in a friendly manner.

Rory nodded, "Of course. Stupid bags."

The lady laughed, "The season's only begining too."

Rory rolled her eyes, "Please don't remind me."

She took her pass and joined the last minute stragglers that were racing to homeroom. She climbed the stairs and proceeded to homeroom, when she was stopped.

"Ms. Chamberlain.."

Rory turned to see the Assistant Principal, Mr. O'Malley, standing behind her.

A boy with dark colored hair, dressed in tight denim jeans, a Misfit's tee, and destroyed Vans stood next to him.

"Yes sir?" Rory drawled in her Southern California accent.

"Do you have a pass?"

Rory smiled, her perfectly straight, white teeth making her tan skin glow.

She opened the palm of her hand, revealing the folded piece of paper.

He nodded, "Have you met South Cali. Institute's new student?"

She shook her head, and looked over to the boy.

"This is Ektor Alexander Varatzas."

The boy grimaced, "Call me Alex."

Mr. O'Malley nodded, "Well Alex, this is Rory Chamberlain. Prestigious Polo player, and
captian."

Rory blushed, but stuck her hand out to Alex, smiling, "Nice to meet you."

He searched her face for an instant, looking for anything unpleasant.

He returned her smile, and grabbed her hand, "Nice to meet you too."

"Well Ms. Chamberlain, where are you headed to?" Mr. O'Malley asked continuing to walk down the hall.

"Mrs. Hensler's room."

"Good, that's where we're headed. I think I'm going to put Mr. Varkatzas into your hands. You can show him around the school and make sure his first few days run smoothly." O'Malley stated, allowing Alex and Rory into the room ahead of him.

Rory nodded,"That sounds swell."

Alex nodded in agreement.

As they walked in, the class grew quiet, watching as the new kid avoided their eyes.

Rory handed her pass to Mrs. Hensler and took her seat by Marlena.

"Oooh, who is that?" Marlena asked, quirking an eyebrow at Rory.

She shook her head, "His name's Alex. He's new. He also doesn't talk much."

Marlena smiled, "Well I think he's cute."

Rory shook her head and watched as Mrs. Hensler brought Alex to the front of the room and introduced him to the rest of the class.

'Bad idea for someone to do on their first day.' Rory thought as Alex started to shake.

He caught Rory's eye and she winked at him, making him smile and turn a light shade of red.

"You can take a seat next to Rory over there." Mrs. Hensler said, pointing to the empty desk next to her.

He sat down greatful to be away from the front of the class.

Marlena smiled at him, "My name's Marlena. I'm practically Rory's right hand man.. or woman."

Alex smiled, "Well, I'm Alex. And am no ones right hand man.. yet."

Marlena laughed, "Nice."

Rory rolled her eyes and dug into her bag, pulling out her binder, "Can I see your schedule?"

Alex nodded and pulled it out of his pocket.

Rory quickly scanned it over, "Well we have Lunch, and Gym together. But everything else is
really close, so I can show you around."

She smiled over to him and she handed him the schedule.

He nodded, giving her a small smile.

They sat there in silence, waiting for the homeroom bell to ring.

When it finally did, Rory asked for Alex's schedule again, and walked him to his first class.

"Here's the music room. I'll be right down the hall, in my Study class. Meet me by the water
fountains and I will tell you where to go next, alright?"

Alex smiled, and nodded to her.

"Alright, well I will see you in about half-an-hour."

Alex nodded once again, "Thanks."

Rory laughed, "Alex, don't worry about it. I got you covered."

She watched as he knocked on the door and stepped into the room.