Dreams of a Warrior Queen

Rude Awakenings

Her name was Boudicca, and she was the widow of Prasutagus, King of Iceni. She was a proud yet compassionate woman. She loved fiercely and was loyal to a fault. So you could imagine how it must have felt to see her husband die. Though she might not have loved him like most wives love their husbands, but she did love her daughters. Still she had no reason to complain of her marriage, Prasutagus never raised his hand upon her and rarely shouted. He had provided a good home for her and their children and their people were as happy as could be expected during these troubled times. That was before he died.
Now that he was gone all hell had broken loose. Once the Roman Empire had begun its many conquests, Prasutagus had smartly made himself one of Rome’s allies. In the end the Roman emperor was co-heir to Iceni. This would all have worked out fine if Rome had not deceived her foolishly trustful husband. Rome does not recognize women as heirs, so her daughter’s kingdom was to be taken from them. And this was just the beginning.
Boudicca awoke to angry shouts. Something wasn’t right. She quickly got out of her large bed and donned a white tunic; she slipped on her favorite gold necklace and pulled her waist length fiery red hair back fastening it with a leather thong. She strode from the room and made her way too the dinning hall. There her two daughters Danica and Andra huddled together and gazed terrified out a window.
“What is happening out there? I awoke to the sound of shouts.” Boudicca asked as she came to stand next to her daughters. What she saw out the window frightened her greatly.
“Mother the Romans have come.” The younger of her daughters answered. Andra was thirteen; she had long red hair like her mothers and unlike her mother a soft voice. She was beautiful with bright blue eyes that mirrored her mothers as she spoke.
“What are we to do? Do you think they will let us stay as we are?” Danica asked. She was the bolder of the two, with long raven hair and the greenest eyes she looked like her mother but had her fathers coloring. She was fifteen and outspoken. She was also betrothed to an, unpleasant old man, in her opinion. This man was only twenty-six.
“Go dress and come quickly with me to talk to the general of their army.” Boudica spoke. Her beautifully harsh voice did not betray her fear, although her eyes did.