Status: Completed, sequel "Memories From Cherry Street" out!

Somebody Save Me From This Thing I Call My Life

Sixteen

Ashley continued to stay at Dylan's house. Every day for the past week she got up when he went to school, ate breakfast, cleaned some of the house, then would sit at the kitchen table and write as she waited for everyone to get home from work and school. Usually Dylan's little brother, Evan, was the first to get home. Ashley was glad she was suspended because she didn't like the thought of Evan being home alone in a place like this. The two had grown close in the week she'd been at his house. In the time they had before Dylan and Amy arrived home they would watch cartoons, play video or board games, or just sit at the table and talk. For a 10 year old, he was very mature and smart for his age.

On this particular day, they were sitting at the kitchen table playing Sorry when Amy came home from work. She barely acknowledged them and went straight to her bedroom and shut the door. Her sobs audibly echoed from the other room. They both looked at each other, not knowing what they should do.

About 20 minutes later Dylan came in the door.

"Hey Evan" He ruffled his brothers hair

"Hey Dyl" Evan replied, turning back to his homework.

He came up behind Ashley and wrapped his arms around her. Instead of falling into him like usual, she turned around. "Come in the other room with me for a minute" He looked confused, but he followed.

"You need to go talk to your mom" She said

He looked at her strangely "Um....okay....what's going on?"

"I'm not sure she came in and barely talked to us and we heard her crying"

"Alright I'll be out in a minute" He said as he went to knock on the door.

Fifteen minutes later he came out looking like he might cry or punch someone. As he went in his room and slammed the door behind him, Ashley heard the sound of something breaking.

She knocked on the door. "It's me, can I come in" When she got no answer she slowly pushed open the door to find him laying in bed, hands over his eyes.

She sat next to him and rubbed his back, looking at him questionally.

He looked back at her and said "It's my dad"

"What's going on, is he okay"

"It's fine, nothing like that. He wants to get custody of Evan and I....which would mean we would have to move...and live with him" he angerly stated

Ashley didn't know what to say so she threw her arms around him and whispered "It will be okay baby"

He grunted in reply then left the room to take a shower. Ashley remembered the smashing noise she heard and looked around the room to see what he broke. Everything looked in place and she was about to give up until she opened his closet and saw an empty bottle of Jack Daniels smashed to pieces. She hated alcohol. She hated drinking. He knew that. So what the hell was he doing with that in his closet?