Rennie And Jaya

Chapter Eight.

"I don't know! I really don't know!" Jaya cried helplessly.

Rennie's skin prickled.
Was Jaya okay?
She so worried for her. She barely knew this woman, and, already she had feelings this strong for her. It was remarkable, and Rennie couldn't believe her luck. But no time for that now, she knelt in the bush, her lip silently quivering. As voices became louder and footsteps ever nearer, her hands trembled and sweat ran in beads down her back.

Jaya's father brought her round, grabbing her by the ear. He looked threateningly into her eyes, as if he was about to kill her. Rennie sat and watched, utterly helpless. She feared for her own life, not just Jaya's. If Jaya's father, Leonard, caught her, he would most certainly kill her for her father's betrayal. Looking back, she remembered a conversation as a flashback.

Her parents, Edgar and Iris were sitting down in the front room, together on a settee. Rennie was about seven or eight, and it was a dark November evening; about 8 O'Clock. Everything was calm; her parents smiling and laughing; Rennie overlooking, having got up from bed secretly to go and retrieve a glass of water. Then the doorbell rang.
Rennie quickly hopped inside of her bedroom door frame and hid behind a cupboard, to avoid her parent's gaze. Her mother got up, to go see who was waiting. As always, she put the door on a latch and looked through a small spyhole at the top of the door. She had always looked through before opening the door. Rennie never knew why. But then her mother seemed shocked. She quitely stepped back from their wooden door, and crept into the lounge, where Edgar awaited. He looked puzzled.
"What's the matter?" He asked, but Iris hushed him, fear in her eyes.
"It's him," she whispered "you know..."
Edgar's eyes grew with fear as he nodded. The door was knocked again.
"What should we do?" She whispered, and Edgar searched around for an answer.
"You get in there, with Rennie. I'll get the phone, just in case. Quiet."
Her mother crept in to her room.
"Rennie! You're up!" She hissed, but not angry, more scared. Rennie was confused.
"Whos' at the door?" she asked, but her mother hushed her.
"Never you mind. Don't worry sweetheart. Everything will be fine, I promise."
Then someone banged on the door.
"Ed! I know you're in there. Come out, you bastard! Come and take it like a man"
Rennie stared at her daddy in confusion, wide eyes, eyebrows raised. Her father tried to stare at the wall, keeping a stern face. He was the man of the house. He had to be strong.
"Daddy?" Rennie whispered, but her mum hushed her yet again, and took her to her bed.
"Come, lie down,"
She stroked Rennie's soft auburn hair
"Everything will be alright. You just relax." Her mother smiled comfortingly.
More banging at the door. Rennie just smiled and ignored it. Like her mother had said...


Had that been Jaya's father?
But her thoughts soon returned to hiding, once again, like she had done as only a little girl of eight. Had they spent all this time running from him?
But Rennie snapped back into action, more, voices, even louder.

"How could you do this to the family? First, you lay with a woman. Have you any idea? That goes against our religion. Then, off all women, all useless, you pick her. The little bitch, her father...you know her father. He is Edgar. He is the man we've spent all our grudge on. You must never, never see this woman again? Do you understand?"