There's No Snow in Southern California

Chapter 5

-Joe's POV-

I stood in shock looking at our new neighbor, and she stayed paralyzed looking at me. I didn't know what to do. Do I talk to her? Introduce myself? Just leave? Really, I have no idea what to do.

It looked as though she was contemplating the same things as me. I should probably talk to her, I don't want to seem like a creep. But it might be too late for that....

As I opened my mouth to introduce myself, there was a noise from inside her house. Her head shot towards her home.

"Kaden! We're home! Can you help us with the groceries?" Someone said from inside, I think it must have been her mother. She grabbed all of her things and threw her guitar on her back and with one last glance at me, ran inside her house.

Kaden. Well, at least I know her name now. I like that, Kaden.

"Uh, Joe? What are you doing?" I heard from behind me. I turned away from the fence and saw Nick and his girlfriend Kennedy standing there staring at me.

What do I tell them? That I was spying on the new girl next door and got caught?

"Uh..." I said awkwardly, rubbing the back of my neck.

"You're such a freak, why do you insist on being so effing weird Joseph?" Kennedy said to me.

"Hey! I'm not a freak! I'm just...different." I said defensively. Why must she always be so mean to me!?

"Anyways, Mom wants us to take over some brownies to our new neighbors to welcome them to the neighborhood. You know, the ones you were spying on." Nick informed me. I glared at him, then nodded.

A few minutes later I was holding a plate of brownies and cookies standing infront of the new neighbors' door. Sorry, Kaden's door.

"Are you gonna ring the doorbell or just stand there like a creep?" Kennedy asked me. I rolled my eyes and rang the doorbell. I could hear footsteps rushing to the door and a second later Kaden pulled it open. I hoped she wouldn't recognize me, but that was a lost cause.

"Uh.." She said, just staring at me.

"Oh, Joseph you didn't creep this girl out earlier, did you?" Kennedy said, with Nick snickering behind me.

"Oh so thats your name? And yes, he definitely creeped me out. I'm Kaden." She said, sticking her hand out and shaking Kennedy's.

"Ohmygod, I love your shirt!" Kennedy nearly screamed.

"I know! Its all BAM ZEBRA!" Kaden exclaimed. Oh dear lord, they're going to be best friends.

I cleared my throat, and they turned back to look at me and Nick. I motioned to the plate of desserts and Nick said, "Welcome to the neighborhood. Our mom wanted to give these to you. Oh, and I'm Nick." Kaden smiled at him and shook his hand. Then she looked back at me and her smile disappeared.

"The kitchen is down the hall and to the left."

"Alright." I mumbled, walking past her, Kennedy, and Nick. Her iciness towards me was kind of bringing me down, even though I understand she doesn't really want to talk to someone who was spying on her.

I really wish we didn't get off on the wrong foot.
♠ ♠ ♠
so if you couldnt really tell, kaden and joe arent going to be getting along very well just yet.
=]
leave a comment?
xoxo
kristen