What a Bunch of Fools We Lovers Are

VII.

I sat in the passenger's seat of Faith's car watching Parker's house in the distance until I was too far away to see it.

"So how was the show?" Faith asked. She didn't take much interest in metal or indie music, but she was desperate to clear away some of the storm cloud that had followed me into the car.

All I said was, "It was really good."

"Which band was your favorite?"

"Arming Venus," I answered, without hesitation. "You should have seen them. I really wish I had gotten to talk to Gavin afterward. God, he amazes me."

Faith giggled. "You've fallen for a musician. Doesn't this go against any of your principles?"

"I have principles?"

We both laughed as Faith turned suddenly onto a road I hadn't been expecting her to.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"Don't be mad," she said, setting a bag in my lap. I reached in and pulled out my favorite black bikini and swim trunks. "Aurora's out at the lake setting up camp. She said there's room—"

"Camping?!" Faith flinched at the volume of my screech. If there was anything I absolutely loathed, it was camping, and Faith knew that.

"I said don't be mad," she muttered. "Look, I have enough of your stuff in the trunk to last you at least a week. You need a break, Serenity. Please, do this for yourself." Her serious face twisted into a grin. "I promise it will be nothing like the last time we went camping."

"I was eight!" I laughed. "I doubt I'm still that terrified of bugs and ferns, but you'll never change the fact that I can't stand the outdoors."

"You're insulting my intelligence," Faith said. "I don't want to hear another complaint until you've seen what I put in the trunk."

"It better be good, Faith," I sighed. Then I pulled out my ipod, put my seat back, and slept.
♠ ♠ ♠
Next one's not all written yet, but it'll be done in a couple hours.

Or days, if I fall asleep. XD