Status: Complete (:

You're Attractive but Bitter

Caleb Turman

“So are you coming?” Kyle asked but I hardly heard anything before that. My mind was still wrapped around that dream I had just a while ago.

“What?” I said.

“Going to the show?” he said.

“When and where?”

“Tomorrow, I’ll pick you up. Come on, it’ll be fun!” he said enthusiastically.

“Huh, um-”

“Be ready by seven,” he said and ran out of the back door. I swear sometimes, I think that boy has problems.

My mother came in to the kitchen and I guess she practically heard everything. She looked at me with a weird smile on her face.

“What?” I asked her as I got a bottle of water from the fridge.

“I agree with Kyle, you need some fun in your life.” She said and I gave her a confused look.

“He said that?” I asked.

“If you paid any attention to that boy then you would know,” she said and left the kitchen.

I stood there staring at where her body was seconds ago and thought if this was just a dream or not. I shook my head and tried to accept the fact that my mother was trying to be nice. But agreeing with Kyle? That wasn’t something she used to do. I thought she hated Kyle for making me just like him. As a child he was arrogant and somehow I think he influenced me and maybe that’s why we stopped visiting him during the summer. But did my mother just forget about all that and decide to move in here?

I drank the last of the water and placed the bottle in the trash bin. I went up the stairs and into my room. I looked out the window to see the view. I noticed that Kyle lived next door and beyond their house, there was a big lake. That was where Kyle and I used to play. His mother used to bring us both there and we used to swim in that lake. I remember it all as if it happened just yesterday.

My phone started ringing and it alarmed me. I quickly rushed to pick it up.

“Hello?” I said.

“Hey!” Courtney, my best friend back in North Carolina, shouted.

“What’s up?”

“I thought you said you’d call me once you’d get there. Wait are you still in the car?” she
asked.

“No but I kinda fell asleep. I’m sorry,” I apologized.

“It’s okay, so how is it over there?” she asked but it seemed as if she didn’t have the time to really talk. She sounded sarcastic.

“It’s okay I guess,” I said.

“Well since nothing happened yet, I’ll just go. I need to go do something.” She said as if someone was chasing her.

“Or someone,” I muttered under my breath.

“Whatever,” she laughed and put down the phone. I kinda counted that as hanging up on me but I’m that the kind of person who starts fights over little things. I’m not that sensitive. After a while in my room, I got kinda bored and I really didn’t know what to do so I decided to take a walk. I placed my phone in my pocket and told my mom that I was heading out.

“Come back before 6 okay?” she said and I nodded

I went out the door and started walking. I looked around and then I froze. I saw a guy that looked so familiar and it was as if I’ve seen him before. I looked at him closely and then realized who it was.

It was Caleb Turman.