The College Stalker

HARD TO SAY "I'M SORRY"

‘Everybody needs a little time away,
I heard her say
From each other
Even lovers need a holiday
Far away from the one that I love
Hold me now,
It’s hard for me to say ‘I’m sorry’
I just want you to stay ’

Battling my way nearly half way across campus proved to be a fruitful attempt. For I found my stalker perched on the pond bank, lost in the dreams that his inner heart craved. I stood there at a distance, studying him.
I seemed to see him in a whole new light as he sat there, oblivious to my presence. He befitted the role of a friend, confidant and counselor than he ever would fit the role of a boyfriend. Something told me that the thought of being something ‘more than just good friends’ was yet to enter his head.
He looked up suddenly and saw me staring at him. The quizzical expression on my face seemed to amuse him.
“Hello, Aria” he greeted, pleasantly “What took you so long?”
“I-I” God, why the hell was I stuttering?
Damn it; tell him you were studying him. You knew the answers to the questions! He needn’t go through the pain of answering you.
“I was detained on my way…due to the longing for a cup of coffee” I invented, wildly.
Abhra stared at me.
“You had coffee when it is so hot?”
“Cold coffee.” I said.
Wow. Where were all these lies coming from? Who was I now? Certainly not the messed up girl he had befriended weeks ago.
“Stop lying.”
Ah, so he knew I was making up the stories now, did he?
“What is the matter that you interrupted my phone call with-” he began to ask.
Immediately, I flared up.
“Oh, I’ll let you continue with your fucking phone call then.”
I was about to get up and leave when he called out, “-my grandmother.”
“Oh” I sat back down with a flump.
“Now, tell me…what is the matter, Aria?”
“Could you understand what I was trying to ask you that day?”
“Are you telling me you actually believe those rumors that I was in love with you?” he said it so simply. He said it so easily.
I tried to see deep into his eyes. He was laughing at the possibility of me and him being together as a couple.
“Thank God,” I breathed “I was beginning to think I would lose my good friend forever!”
He gave a look that quelled all my future outbursts. He wouldn’t desert his friends that look seemed to say. He would be there – no matter what.

‘After all that we’ve been through
I will make it up to you, I promise you
After all that’s been said and done,
You’re just a part of me, I can never let go…’

“So we’ll always be friends?” I asked him.
I had never been so happy in my life. I could have hugged him for joy – I was that excited. But I held myself back. Embraces would lead to awkward questions.
“Always and forever.” My ex-stalker promised.
I smiled at him.
Friendship was definitely sweeter than love, in my case. My boyfriend had shattered my heart into a zillion pieces; my good friend had glued it back together.
My boyfriend had tried to heal matters by saying he was right. My good friend healed matters by hearing me out.
In the end, the one thing I did learn during those weeks when I shared an intimate relationship with my stalker, was that a best friend is someone who would know all the shit about you and still loves you for being you.
“Wanna go give those idiots something to talk about?” he asked, getting up.
I understood what he meant and nodded.
Holding hands we walked all the way back to the department. People stared at us. Some of them nodded their heads in delight, obviously thinking their guesses of our being together was correct.
We exchanged a glance, and laughing walked into our respective classrooms.
“See you after classes, love.” My ex-stalker and newfound best friend yelled.
“Right back at ya, dearest.” I called back.
Then grinning at the shocked expression of my friends’ faces, I settled down in my usual place.
I felt so contented and so happy.
‘God was in his Heaven, and all was right with the world’. All was right in MY world.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chicago owns the right to this song..........