Unification

Unification

Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. Finer words have never been spoken. Today many people look upon me as a traitor against humanity. Others, the select few, acknowledge my effort towards a better, unified world. As I write these memoirs, I think that my goal was reached. Not the way I intended, but the effect was the same. The world was unified. Unified against Europe but unified nonetheless.

I must acknowledge that in years to come the younger generations will not hear my story the way it is supposed to be told. You, dear reader, will be told that I have lost. This is wrong for I got what I wanted.

When I was fourteen I used to watch the news. I would look down upon the world and think to myself ‘This is chaos’. It was anarchy and vigilantism but our parliament called it democracy. Whatever it was, I didn’t like it. All of the power was given to the people; it almost made me wish for an absolute monarchy.

You see, people are ignorant. Throw a bunch of facts at them, tell them tales of global progression and they’ll get scared. It’s like teaching pre-schoolers. You need to be nice, simple and direct. However, our parliament didn’t understand this.

Ever since I realised this I wanted to change it. So I waited four years and became involved in politics. What I saw during that time is enough to make your blood boil and your stomach churn. If the scum in our country was supposed to be rotting in the gutters then what were they doing yelling at each other in the Chamber of Commerce? Maybe it would be better if urchins came in and replaced these greedy, conniving politicians? It wouldn’t make a difference. Within a year we’d get the same result. The system was defective. It corrupted people. This is what I wanted to change.

However, I needed to go bigger. Fixing Britain wasn’t enough to make an impact on the world. This is what led me to want to work in Europe. I managed to impress enough people during my time as a British politician; so much so that eventually I was put forward to be European Commissioner, a position which I took gladly. After that I must admit that my plan was easy to execute.

Attending meetings with the other Commissioners was enlightening. Here were people who cared. That surprised me. I thought I was the only one who cared about Europe and the world but I was mistaken. However, they didn’t share the same drive that I did. I actually wanted to act and strive for a better Europe, but they were sitting there with their bylaws and meaningless treaties.

When the next election within the EU came around I made sure that I was in the running for President. In the event that I was unsuccessful with this endeavour I ensured that I had built up a very friendly relationship with the other candidates. A man called Enrique Perez was chosen, to my dismay of course. I wouldn’t get as much influence now. Thankfully, however, he selected me as Vice President. Only me. This was the first time only one person was selected for that role. I was overjoyed, other commissioners were not. They argued at length with Enrique (we were on first name terms due to the amount of time we spent together in hotels after meetings) but he managed to persuade them that I was deserving of this title and position.

Poor Enrique didn’t know what I really wanted. I doubt that if I’d revealed everything to him beforehand that he would have agreed to hand over a title to me.

Slowly but surely I introduced new ways of thinking into Europe. Each developed the bonds between neighbouring countries and, before long, all war and rifts within and between European countries was abolished. New countries became part of the Union, including Switzerland, which surprised the whole world. I think that was the straw that broke the camel’s back. Switzerland. A country known for it’s neutrality finally took a side.

North America was the first to make it’s annoyance heard. With all of Europe following similar rules and working together we provided a serious problem to other superpowers. This I did not understand. Countries and continents complain about the World Wars being caused by Europe, yet when we want to unify they say we have too much power. All we wanted was peace. However, it seems that that was not meant to be.

Within my one term of being Vice President I managed to convince every single European country to join the EU. People were so in awe of me because of this and when the next term rolled around I was voted President.

At this point I think it’s safe to say that I may have been on a slight power trip - corrupted by the one thing I planned to change. I am ashamed now. However, I couldn’t see clearly then, what I was becoming. My rise to power wasn’t intended. My goal was achieved and that was all I ever wanted. Europe was unified. Unfortunately, the rest of the world was not. Everyone hated us. Whether it was because of jealousy or fear I do not know. I don’t suspect I ever will.

This chapter in my life ended when the Russians and the United States teamed up together in order to knock me off my pedestal. I suppose it could have been worse. Not many were killed. I never wanted someone else’s blood on my hands. After a while I simply resigned. Europe was unified. The world was unified against the threat that we posed to the world with our power. Everyone, in their own way, was at peace.

From the Memoirs of Anna Markevitz, ex-British Commissioner for the European Union
♠ ♠ ♠
Something I wanted to enter in a competition. I would love feedback on it!