Status: Active. Updates may be quite slow, but it will be updated. :D

You're a Classic Like a Little Black Dress

two.

I scrolled through my iPod playlist, none of the hundreds of songs on their taking my fancy. So, I went back to the main menu and selected the rarely used ‘shuffle’ function.

2) Black Gold ft. Brendon Urie - Plans & Reveries

Almost instantly, my own piano playing filled my ears, eagerly falling from the headphones. Slowly but surely the song progressed, and within time, Patrick’s smooth voice sounded, as he began belting out the simple yet powerful lyrics – it made me instantly realise was our composition from music class. It was almost painful to listen to. I hadn’t listened to the song once since senior year, in fact it puzzled me as to why it was still on my iPod. I was almost certain I’d deleted it.

As I took the white ear buds from their rightful place, my eyes scaled my room. From the three suitcases filled to the brim with tour necessities, to the framed picture of my mom, Eva, and my almost-step-dad, Joel.

Let me explain, around 7 years after my dad passed away, my mom met Joel, funnily enough, at a speed-dating event. She’d gone along for fun with my Aunt and Joel had been dragged along by a friend. They hit it off right away and had been together ever since. My mom being a widow and Phil having just got out of a messy divorce, marriage wasn’t on the cards for them, even so, I thought of Joel as a father figure. Although he could never replace my father, he was a great guy. He made my mom happy, and anyone that did that was fine by me.

Thoughts of my family filled my mind. I loved them to bits and we all got really well. Each time I was home from tour (and that time was no exception), we always had a family game night. We’d all get together at either my mom’s and Joel’s or mine and Eva’s, and we’d all bring a board game with us. The Rousseau family, over the years, had spent many evenings in heated games of Trivial Pursuit or thoughtful games of Scrabble, laughs and love always filling the air. It was one of our family traditions that I loved and cherished.

A dull thud of a knock sounded on my door, pulling me from my thoughts. Eva popped her head round the door before saying, “Spencer and Jon are here.”

I couldn’t help the automatic smile that found its way onto my face as I grabbed my stuff and made my way into the living room. “Hi guys,” I smiled at them.

The fact that they were here, just made the idea of going back on tour so real. As much as I loved being at home, once I was there for too long, I would always begin to get antsy and yearn for the routine and spontaneity of tour. Waking up each day, never completely sure what city you were, hell, sometimes I wasn’t even sure what country we were in, but that was all part of the fun.

“Jess!” Spencer jumped up from the sofa and engulfed me in a hug. He pulled away, almost jumping up and down from excitement.

“Calm down Spence, it’s only been four weeks since you saw her last!” Jon spoke, ever-sensibly before moving from behind Spencer and giving me a knowing smile and a kiss on the cheek.

“Don’t worry Jon, Spence just realise how amazing I am and how he can’t live without me,” I joked.

Spencer nodded vigorously, humouring me.

“Come on guys, let’s get on the road!” I called, bouncing up and down on the balls of my feet.
I ushered the two men outside and turned around to say farewell to my sister. However, it wasn’t as sad as usual, because we would only be apart for a week before she came to join us on tour.

“I’ll see you in Columbus,” I smiled, kissing her forehead.

Her expression was a mix of sadness and anticipation. “Bye Jess,” she patted my arm. “Bye guys!” she called to Jon and Spencer who were waiting by the elevator. They both called their goodbyes before we stepped into the elevator and made our way down.

During our descent, I asked no one in particular, “where are we meeting everyone else?”

“O’Hare,” Jon confirmed as the elevator dinged and the doors slid open smoothly. “Then we’re flying to JFK; our first show’s in New York.”

“Awesome.” I smiled, linking my arms through both Jon’s and Spencer and we walked down the road arm in arm. The boys being polite enough to wheel my suitcases as the wind blew our hair behind us, reminiscent of a commercial for shampoo.

We made our way back to Jon’s, where we grabbed their stuff and hailed a cab to take us to the airport.

“Jess!” Brendon ran up to me, jumping at me as I entered the airport terminal.

“Whoa,” I said, whilst steadying myself to accommodate the extra weight that was Brendon.

“Hey, Bren.”

In due course we made our way to the terminal to catch our flight to New York where we were to meet Fall Out Boy.

Row A, row B, row C. I walked down the aisle of the place searching for our seats. Once we’d finally found them, we sat down Brendon getting the aisle seat and Ryan sitting next to him. Jon, Spencer and I sat in front of them.

I didn’t bother to try and fight the overwhelming tiredness that was undoubtedly engulfing me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments?