Going Nowhere At Full Speed

I Can't

“You punched her father?” Kris asked in disbelief after Brent began telling him how his night with Ava went. “I can’t believe you punched him! In the middle of dinner, in the middle of a fancy restaurant, at that,” he continued with a laugh.

“Like you wouldn’t have done the same thing if it was Dirk saying those things about Chloe,” Brent pointed out.

Kris nodded his head, knowing it was true. “Point taken,” he told him. “So, what did Ava do after you punched her dad?”

“Well, she kind of sat there in shock before I pulled her out of the restaurant. And then she got pissed at me for punching her father, telling me that he was going to press charges or it was going to be all over the press,” Brent answered.

“She’s got a point,” Kris told him.

“And, then I kissed her,” Brent said, ignoring Kris’s comment.

Kris’s eyes went wide. He and the rest of his teammates had been waiting on this for a long time, practically since they had met Ava. And, now after all this time, Brent had finally made his move. “It’s about time!” he told him, laughing.

“Ha ha,” Brent said sarcastically. “What does my sister see in you again?” he added jokingly.

“Hmmm,” Chloe hummed, walking in the front door and shutting it behind her. “Would you really like me to tell you all the things I like about him?” she asked, knowing she could make Brent uncomfortable. “Well, I love the way he kisses me, and when he—“

“Okay, I don’t need to hear this!” Brent exclaimed, putting his hands over his ears and walking towards the door. “I’ll be over at Ava’s if you need me,” he told her, walking out the front door.

Chloe turned to Kris, laughing. “Well, that’s one way to be left alone,” she said with a smile, pulling on the collar of his shirt to bring him closer.

All of a sudden, they heard Brent yell, “And, don’t forget, these walls are very thin. I can hear everything you do!”

Kris turned a darker shade of pink, while Chloe yelled back, “Yeah, well that goes two ways!” She turned back around to look at Kris. “Now, where were we?” she asked, pulling him back down until their lips met.

“So,” Kris said, pulling away from her. “Did you hear about Brent and Ava?”

“Yes!” Chloe exclaimed, a huge smile on her face. “I’ve been telling Ava forever that he likes her, but she wouldn’t listen to me.”

“I wonder if everything’s going to be awkward between the two of them or anything,” Kris said absentmindedly.

“Why would things be awkward?” Chloe asked.

“I don’t know,” Kris said, shrugging his shoulders. “I just thought that since Brent punched her father that things might not be all smooth and easy,” he commented. “But, let’s not think about them right now,” he said, pulling her closer to him.

A little while later, Kris was sitting on the couch with Chloe lying next to him, her head on his chest. All of a sudden, she looked up at him, saying, “So, are you excited that practice starts up again next week?” The preseason officially started the following week, and both Kris and Brent seemed excited to go back to work.

“Yeah,” he said with a small smile.

“I don’t believe you,” Chloe told him, looking up into his eyes.

“It’s just that now I won’t be able to spend as much time with you,” he told her.

Chloe looked up at him. “Aww,” she began, putting one of her hands on his cheek. “You are the corniest person I have ever met,” she added, laughing.

“Hey!” Kris exclaimed.

“It’s just that now I won’t be able to spend as much time with you,” she imitated him, trying to hold in her laughter, but not succeeding at the end. She saw the look in his eye change, and she knew he was going to do something to her. She quickly jumped up, and Kris stood up, following her.

“Oh, no,” he called after her laughing. “You’re not going to get away that easily,” he told her, running after her into her bedroom.

“What? You just make it too easy,” she told him as he ran towards her, and she ran to the other side of the bed. He quickly reached her, tackling her onto the bed, with him falling on top of her.

He placed all of his weight on his hands that were positioned on each side of Chloe’s head. He looked down at her before slowly leaning in, pressing his lips to hers.

Before long, things were getting heated up, and Kris began playing with the hem of Chloe’s shirt. As things started to get more intense, Chloe pulled her lips away from Kris’s, looking up at him. “I can’t,” she whispered, quickly looking away, scared for his reaction.

Kris nodded, giving her a quick kiss before moving off of her and standing up next to the bed. He held his hand out to help her up as well. She slowly opened her eyes to see his hand in front of her face, and she looked over at him. Was he really okay with what had happened? She grabbed his hand, hoisting herself up so she was standing next to him.

Not letting go of her hand, he walked back out to the living room, sitting down on the couch. Chloe sat down next to him, not knowing exactly what to do. Was she supposed to act like nothing had just happened? Should she say something? She decided just to go back to how they were before, with her head on his chest, as Kris turned his attention to the television.

After five minutes of lying like that in silence, Chloe couldn’t handle it anymore. She lifted her head off of him, turning her body on the couch so she was facing him. “Can we talk about what just happened?” she asked him.

Kris turned the television volume down, looking over at Chloe. “I’m sorry,” he apologized instantly.

Chloe looked at him with a confused expression on her face. “For what?” she asked.

“I shouldn’t have gone that far,” he told her.

“Kris, we both let it get that far, and I’m fine with that. I’m just not ready to go any further,” she explained. “I just want to make sure that you’re going to be okay with that.”

“Of course I am,” Kris assured her.

“Okay, good,” Chloe said, nodding her head as she laid back down, grabbing the remote from next to Kris and turning the volume back up. He placed his arm around her shoulder, and they stayed like that for the next few hours.
♠ ♠ ♠
Let me know what you think!