Going Nowhere At Full Speed

Crush

Brent slowly opened the door to Chloe’s room to see his sister lying face down on her bed. He walked over to her, sitting on the edge of the bed. “Chloe?” he asked while Ava walked over and stood behind him.

Chloe raised her head and looked over at Brent and Ava. “Brent, please, just leave me alone right now,” she pleaded.

“I’m not just going to leave you alone,” Brent said. “Especially when you’re like this. What exactly did Destiny say? All she told me was that you apparently have a crush on Steeger and she was trying to warn you about him or something,” Brent said, still confused about what had actually been said.

“That’s what she told you?” Chloe asked, sitting up in bed.

Brent nodded his head. “Yeah, now tell me what she said to you.”

“Brent, she said the exact words that Dirk used to say to me,” she told him. When he gave her a look, she further explained. “She said I was worthless and no one will ever love me,” she said, her voice cracking.

Brent looked up at Ava, who nodded in agreement, and then he looked back down at Chloe. “I’m sorry, Chloe. She never should have said those things. They’re not true at all.”

“Why are you dating her?” Chloe asked him.

“Because…” Brent began, but then he stopped. “I don’t know,” he admitted. “I really don’t know, but I promise that I’m not going to be dating her very much longer. I can’t believe she said those things to you!”

“As long as you figured out the truth about Destiny, I guess it’s all worth it,” Chloe told him.

“No, it’s not worth it. You should never have to hear anyone say something like that to you,” Brent said. “I’m sorry.”

“It’s not your fault,” Chloe assured him.

“So,” Brent smiled. “You have a thing for Steeger, huh?”

Chloe’s cheeks immediately turned a dark shade of red, and Ava spoke up for her. “Brent, leave her alone. She’s a seventeen, almost eighteen, year old girl. She’s allowed to like whoever she wants to.”

“Hey, I wasn’t saying there was anything bad with liking Steeger,” Brent said. “As long as it’s not Kaner, I’m all for it,” he added with a smile.

Chloe turned a darker shade of red, and Ava looked at Brent. “Leave,” she ordered, pointing towards the door.

“You can’t kick me out. This is my apartment,” Brent protested.

“Get out!” she stated, laughing.

“Fine,” Brent said, crossing his arms over his chest.

“Thanks,” Chloe said once he left.

“Yeah, I didn’t think you were exactly comfortable talking about your crush with your brother,” Ava laughed. “And, just so you know, he was right. You shouldn’t have to hear those things said about you by anyone, especially Destiny.”

“Thanks, Ava,” Chloe said, hugging her.

“No problem,” Ava replied, smiling and hugging Chloe back. “And, remember, don’t listen to a word Destiny said, including that Kris could never like you. I wouldn’t count him out yet.”

“What do you mean?” Chloe asked.

“Let’s just say, I could see Kris falling for you.”

“Yeah, I’m sure the bruises caused him to fall for me,” Chloe quipped as she looked down at her arm full of bruises.

“Well, I won’t say I told you so,” Ava told her.

“Yeah, yeah,” Chloe said.

An hour later, Ava had to go to work, leaving Chloe home alone, as Brent had gone to talk to Destiny. All of a sudden, the doorbell rang, and Chloe ran to go get it. Opening the door, she found herself face to face with Kris. “Hi,” she said slowly.

“Hey,” Kris smiled. “Um, Brent told me to meet him here.”

“Brent’s not here. He’s over at Destiny’s right now,” Chloe told him. “But, you’re more than welcome to come in and wait for him. I don’t really know how long he’ll be, but you can come in.”

“Thanks,” Kris said. “Are you sure you don’t mind. I mean, I don’t know what you were doing or anything.”

“Oh, no, it’s fine. I was just watching some tv. You want to watch?” Chloe asked.

“Sure,” Kris said, sitting down on the couch next to Chloe as he looked to see a hockey game on television. “So, Brent’s over at Destiny’s, eh?”

“Yeah,” Chloe told him. “You don’t sound like you’re too happy about that one. Do you secretly have a crush on her or something?” she asked jokingly.

“God, no!” Kris exclaimed, and Chloe laughed. “Have you met her yet?”

“Yeah, on more than one occasion,” Chloe replied with a fake smile.

“It seems like you two didn’t get off on the right foot either.”

“I’m still trying to figure out why Brent started dating her in the first place. I mean, she’s a complete bitch. Why couldn’t he go for someone like Ava?” Chloe asked, keeping her attention focused on the game.

“You sound like all the guys on the team. We figured him and Ava would have gotten together a while ago,” Kris laughed. “But, for some reason, Destiny’s stayed in his life.”

“Not for long,” Chloe mumbled, but Kris heard her.

“What is that supposed to mean?” he asked, and when Chloe didn’t answer he said, “Is Brent breaking up with her?”

“I’m hoping that’s why he’s over there right now,” Chloe told him.

“What made him change his mind?”

Chloe looked over at him, trying to figure out what to say. Should she tell him the truth? She was saved from deciding when her cell phone began to ring. “Sorry,” she apologized as she grabbed her cell phone and answered it.

Kris looked over at Chloe, who had suddenly gone as white as a sheet. “Are you okay?” Kris asked, as she looked as if she were going to faint.

“Dad?” Chloe choked out.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thoughts???