‹ Prequel: Sick and Sain

Sick Boy

Chapter 1

Ryan Ross was drunk. Ryan Ross was drunk and it was pissing Gerard Way the fuck off. He hated watching people get drunk. It was kind of an odd jealously thing, really, but he didn’t like to admit that to himself. He wanted to be able to drink like everyone else could and not have his life fall apart.

So maybe that was why he was sitting at a table with his brother, sulking in the corner, while his little RyRo got wasted enough to forget he was in a mostly functional relationship and began to flirt with girls and boys alike.

“Look at him,” Gerard snapped, gesturing, “I mean…god! He’s so fucking…fucked up.”

Gerard’s brother, Mikey merely raised his eyebrows, “Gee, he’s twenty-one. Let him grow up. Seriously, do you remember yourself at that age?”

“Well…”

“Fine. Do you remember me?”

Gerard rolled his eyes, “Okay, okay. I get it. I’m just…”

“You’re acting like he’s your child. He’s not so just let him have fun and have fun with him.”

Gerard rolled his eyes. You know he’s right, Gee, you know you’ve been thinking about this for a while. For god’s sake, you’re thirty. And you’re happy. But—just stop being so…maternal. Wasn’t that Mikey’s role up until months ago? Wasn’t it?

“He’s coming,” Mikey muttered under his breath as a very intoxicated member of Panic! At the Disco approached their table.

“Hi Gerard,” Ryan grinned, sitting down right on Gerard’s lap.

In spite of his mood, Gerard smiled. Ryan made him smile, even when he hated to admit it. He was just so…well, so adorable. His hair, hiding big brown eyes that would peer out looking curious and beautiful. And he was so skinny, so damn skinny. But he looked good skinny, and it wasn’t like he didn’t eat. No. The boy was perfect. Perfect Gerard, and so for what reason do you deserve him?

“Hello Sick Boy, how’s the drinking treating you?” Stupid nickname. But it worked.

“Mmmph. Let’s go home and have sex,” Ryan slurred, “And I’ll write a song about it.”

Mikey looked down at his feet. Sex was such an awkward topic when it came to his brother. For one thing, Gerard was his brother. And then again, it was the fact that it was sex with another guy. It wasn’t like Mikey didn’t like it or anything, it was still just…plain weird.

“What’ll it be called?”

“Um…I think, ‘Sex Is the Most Fun Gerard Way Can Have—Ever!’”

“Hm. I doubt you’ll be doing anything tomorrow morning, sweetie. Are you ready to go?”

Ryan bit his lip, looking like a cartoon character. The kind designed to make little girls go ‘aw,’ and little boys scream ‘pansy,’ which really was Ryan Ross in a nutshell. “Um…no!”

“Well I am, so let’s go,” Gerard groaned. God Ryan, whatever happened to your whole thing about never drinking—‘cause of your dad? I want that Ryan. I want the Ryan who likes to write and kisses me on the neck. This new, hung over, sex addicted version is not doing it for me. Maybe though Gee, maybe this is what happens after almost a year. Maybe that’s just how it works. It’s March, you met him last May. People change Gee, haven’t we gone through this a million times before? Oh sure—you did too. Sain. You’re finally sain again. So is Ryan still sick? Is it really a bad thing if he’s not sick? Or do you just want to preserve him like a living museum. Or not living. A weird almost-human model of some guy from some band?