We're All Mad Here

A Mad Tea Party

"Brendy, it is so nice to see you," a voice from the chair at the end of the table said. "And I see that you've brought a friend along with you."

"I have," Brendon said. "Her name is Emily."

"She is very beautiful." the same voice remarked. It was now coming from next to me.

I turned to find a man standing next to me and I jumped slightly. He was handsome, even with the face paint that he had on. A little bird was painted above his left eye and stars were painted around the corner of his right eye. His eyes were a chocolate brown, as was the hair that was sticking out of the bottom of the black top hat that was perched on the top of his head. He was also wearing a loose-fitting pinstripe suit. The stranger took my hand and kissed it softly.

"Hello, Emily," he said in a soft tone. "I am Ryan. It's a pleasure meeting you."

"Likewise," I said with a smile, blushing slightly.

Ryan turned to Brendon and asked, "Brendy, has Emily been registered?"

"No," he replied, "not yet. I was going to get her registered tomorrow."

"Alrighty then," he said before turning back to me. "Would you like to join me for some tea?"

"Sure," I said. I then remembered what Brendon had said earlier. "I can't drink a whole lot; bladder problems."

Ryan then grabbed my hand and led me to the seat that was to the left of the top seat. Brendon took a seat across from me. Ryan took his place at the top of his table and snapped his fingers. The teapot at the end of the table suddenly sprung up and ran up the table, hurdling over tea cups and dirty spoons and such before coming to a rest in front of Ryan.

He picked up the teapot and chuckled "You're not from here, are you?" he asked as he poured tea into my cup.

"No," I replied, "I'm afraid not."

"It's not very often that we get people from other worlds," Ryan remarked. "And we never get anyone as beautiful as you."

I gave him a smile before picking up my tea cup and drinking some of the liquid that was in it. It was utterly delightful. I had never tasted tea this delicious before. In seconds I had downed the tea, leaving the cup empty.

"Would you like some more tea?" Ryan asked me.

I nodded and said, "It's very good tea."

"Don't drink too much, Em," Brendon reminded me, speaking for the first time since we sat down.

"Oh come on Brendy," Ryan said, "don't be a fun ruiner."

"I'm not," he told him. "I just don't want you turning Emily mad."

I finished off the tea that had just been placed in my cup. "May I have some more?" I asked Ryan.

"No!" Brendon said as he stood up. "Come on, Emily, we're leaving."

"I really wish you'd stay, Brendy," Ryan told him. "Or you could leave Emily here for a while and I'd gladly bring her to your home later."

"Sorry," Brendon said as he grabbed my hand, "I'm taking Emily with me."

Brendon yanked on my hand and I left with him. My eyes remained focused on Ryan and as I got further and further away from him, he seemed to grow sadder.

"Goodbye Ryan!" I yelled once Brendon and I reached the gate.

"Farewell Emily!" Ryan yelled back "I hope to see you soon!"

After we left Ryan's tea party, Brendon remained silent. He didn't say a single word for at least ten minutes. I could sense that he was angry and I had a feeling that I had something to do with it. Brendon didn't stop walking until he reached the edge of a forest that had maroon trees.

"Brendon," I began, "are you angry at me?"

"No," he replied, "I am not angry. At least, not at you. You couldn't stop yourself. The person that I am angry at is Ryan. He continued to give you the tea after I told him to stop."

"Why didn't he listen?" I asked.

"There are two possible reasons," Brendon replied. "He either wanted to just not listen to me or he wanted to get you drunk." I personally believe that it was the latter; but you shouldn't worry yourself about it, Emily. You must be awfully tired right now."

As soon as Brendon said that, I started to feel tired. He grabbed my hand and gave me a smile.

"Let's go to my house," he told me "We can finish the tour tomorrow."

He then led me deeper into the woods.