You Belong With Me

Chapter 18

Kristen's POV:

"Hey, Kristen," Nick smiled, wrapping his arm around my waist.

"Hi," I said softly, praying he wouldn't hear the worry in my voice. Apparently he did.

"What's wrong?" he asked, tilting my head to look into his eyes.

Oh man, if there was anything in the world that made me melt, it would be his eyes.

It took me a moment to regain my breath. Then I remembered Nick's life was on the line. My throat became swallowed in fear and grief.

"Kristen?" he asked, making sure I was okay.

Suddenly, Nat and Joe came over next to me at our lunch table. Nat put her hand on my shoulder. "Kristen, what's wrong?"

Nick pulled me into his shoulder. I wrapped my arms around his waist. If I'm not careful, this could be the last time I ever touched him. One wrong move, and Lola would...

I swallowed hard.

My worry was that sometimes I got too competitive. If my competitive streak took control, I'd have to say goodbye...but if I was lucky, and I turned out horrible, then Nick would live. Or, I could just drop out all together. But how would I explain why I had to do that to Nick and Joe and Nat? They all knew I wanted to win this really bad.

But how would Lola find out if I told anyone, you ask?

Believe me, she'll know.

Nick rubbed my back, and tears started to slip down my cheeks. I had no chance. Maybe I could learn to control my competitive streak, but I was doubtful on that note.

"Kristen," Nat said softly. "Will you tell us what's the matter?"

"I can't," I choked into Nick's shoulder.

"Why not?" Joe asked.

"Guys..." Nick said, trying to get them off my back.

"C'mon tell us," Nat begged.

"Yeah," Joe agreed.

"Guys, she doesn't wanna talk..."

"Please?" Joe begged one last time.

"I can't tell you," I repeated, resting my forehead in the arc of Nick's neck. I had to take advantage of what I had left.

They all stayed silent for a moment, in confusion. Nick stroked my hair, and I knew I'd have to talk to him alone.

"Nick," I started.

"Yes, Kristen?"

"Can I talk to you for a minute?"

"Of course."

I waited to hear Joe and Nat get up from the table, but I didn't hear anything. I sighed. "Alone...?"

Nick didn't answer, but Joe and Nat quickly got up and went to another table. He probably gave them a menacing glare. I almost laughed.

"We're alone," Nick whispered in my ear.

I stayed locked in his arms, locked in the warm protection around me. I wanted to stay that way forever.

"Nick..." I started. "I'm so afraid..."

"Of what?"

I paused, letting a tear slip down my cheek. "Afraid for you," I finished.

He hesitated. "...Why? What is there to be afraid of?"

I didn't answer for a moment.

"I mean," he continued, "I know I may have diabetes, but it's nothing to be afraid --"

"No, no, it's not that," I corrected. "And I am afraid for you for your diabetes, but that's not why I'm upset right now."

"Then why are you upset?"

I took a deep, shaky breath, and continued. "Nick...I've known you for a long time, and I know we just started...well...feeling this way...but I want to let you know...I...I love you."

I shut my eyes tight, afraid of what his reaction might be. I couldn't see his expression considering my face was trembling on his shoulder, but I couldn't tell what he was feeling. His grip didn't tighten or loosen, his breathing didn't increase or decrease. I couldn't tell. And it killed me. I held my breath.

Finally he spoke. "I...I love you, too, Kristen."

I finally exhaled a long sigh of relief, and hugged him tighter.

"Why did you decide to tell me this now?" he asked.

I paused, thinking of how to word my sentences to make sure I didn't give anything away. "I...I don't know if I'll get another chance to tell you how I feel."

The tears started to come faster now.

"...What do you mean?"

"I don't know what I mean."

"What?"

"I don't know...I just thought I'd let you know that I really do love you...and don't ever think I don't love you or didn't love you or anything like that. Because I did, and I do."

He paused. "Kristen I've always loved you, and I always will. So what are you trying to tell me?"

"I...I'm just so afraid..."

"Of what?"

"I can feel it, Nick. Something bad is going to happen."

He didn't say anything for a long time.

"Nick," I started again. "I know you probably think I'm going insane, but I'll do whatever I can in my power to protect you...I will."

"What?"

"Just promise me you'll take care?" I asked, looking into his eyes. They were full of concern and worry, and he probably thought I was insane, but it was the only way.

He nodded. "I promise," he breathed.

I sighed in relief, and hugged him one last time.
♠ ♠ ♠
Kristen heree!!
Natt is being a noob and won't updatee :(
But she better update next time for the talent showw!!
Poor Kristen and Nickyy.
Comments and subscribers are much appreciated!
Thanks for reading ^_^