The Adventures of Janey and Steve

Janey and Steve and The Hummingbird

Pink. Pink paper. Pink paper wall. Pink paper wall house. Pink paper wall house falling. Pink paper wall house falling quickly. Pink paper wall house... gone.

"Noooo!!" a girl screams, "My masterpiece! Ruined! Ruined!!"
"It's okay Janey. We can make another one!" encouraged a small boy.
"O... okay Steve," sniffled Janey, "Well, what do you wanna do now?"
"Hmm... Let's go catch a hummingbird!" Steve shouted.
"What?!?!? No one has ever caught a hummingbird before!! Ever!! It's impossible!!"
"No!! Never say never Janey! We can do it! Today's the day Janey. Today... we're gonna catch ourselves a hummingbird," Steve said seriously. Janey stared in awe at her friends deep words.
"Take a deep breath Janey," warned Steve. Janey breathed in hard and then let her air out.
"Let's roll Steve," Janey stole a sharp glance at the front door.

The two walked outside into the fresh April air. Across the street, Ms. Cobblestone's flower patch was in full bloom. As they passed her snow white picket fence, they saw it. There, straight ahead, suckling nectar from a bright yellow carnation, was a hummingbird.

"C'mon," urged Steve.

So Steve and Janey carefully crept into Ms. Cobblestone's yard. They crawled on their hands and knees so as not to scare the precious bird. The hummingbird was strategically hovering around the flowers. When they were only a few feet away, Steve slowly stood up while Janey stayed crouched low.

"Ok Janey. Now you crawl over to the other side and scare it towards me. K?" Steve whispered.
"Got it," Janey whispered back.

So Janey continued on her journey. She cautiously climbed over fallen twigs and dry leaves. Finally, she was on the opposite side of the hummingbird. She made her way up and mouthed, "Ready?"
"Ready," Steve responded.
"Awkward turtle! Awkward turtle! Awkward turtle!" yelled Janey.

Steve, whose shirt was stretched out so he could catch the bird with ease, leaped forward towards the hummingbird. Woosh! The hummingbird flew right to Steve... and he caught it!

"Steve! We did it!" gasped Janey.
"Yay!" said Steve.
"You're my hero!" exclaimes Janey as she embraced her talented friend. "Can we keep it?" she questioned.
"Well... I don't know. I don't think he'd like the microwave. Or my mom's old shoebox... Maybe we should let it go Janey," explained Steve.
"What?!? Why?!?" asked Janey.
"Well because... it should be free. We can't just keep it forever."
"But... but... Hey! You stole that from that movie on ABC that my mom likes to watch!" accused Janey.
"Did not!"
"Did too! Liar, liar pants on fire!"
"I am not a liar!"
"Oh yeah?!"
"Yeah!"
"Well fine!"
"Fine!"
"Fine!!"
"Fine."

A few moments pass as Janey watches Steve struggle to keep the hummingbird in his hands.

"Want some cheez-its?" asked Janey.
"Yes," grumbled Steve.
"Ok. But first we have to say good-bye to Mr. Hum," stated Janey.
"Mr. Who?"
"Hum. That's what I named our birdie," smiled Janey.
"Oh. Ok then," Steve held out his hands so Mr. Hum could fly away.
"Bye Mr. Hum!" called the kids in unison.
Janey turned to Steve, "Now let's go get some cheez-its!"

So they raced back to Janey's house to eat the cheeziest cheez-its ever.

The End!
♠ ♠ ♠
so this is Steve and Janey's first adventure! comments and criticism are gladly appreciated. :)
be on the look-out for more adventures. :D

(by the way i wrote this whole story during school and i think i'm going to continue to do that for this collection of stories only.)