Another Hospital Stay

Chapter 11

As soon as it starts ringing, I get the urge to hang up and after the third ring I was about to when someone answers.

"Hello?"

"Umm…may I speak to Ray," I stammer, feeling my face turn red.

"This is him. Who is this," he asks, sounding confused.

"Umm…this is the girl you ran over in the airport the other day, Alexia," I reply, covering my face with my free hand.

"Oh, yeah. Sorry about that. What's up," he asks, laughing a bit.

"Not much. Umm…you guys are playing in Trenton tonight, right," I ask, starting to feel stupid.

"Yeah. You in town," he asks. I hear someone ask him something in the background. "Hold on a sec."

"Ray, who ya talking to," I hear someone ask.

"Must you know everything I do, Frank," Ray yelled back.

"Yeah, so who is it," they ask again.

"A friend. Now shut up," Ray replies. "Sorry about that. So, are you in town tonight," he asks again.

"Yeah, I am. I came to visit my grandma here in Trenton and the day after tomorrow I'm gonna go visit my mom in Belleville," I explain, walking back inside.

"Oh, you're going to Belleville? That's where we're from," he says. "Hey, I was also wondering, do you want to come to our show tonight? I still owe you from running into you and hurting your hand. How is it by the way? Your hand, I mean."

"It's fine. I think it's just sprained, but it's getting better," I say, going to sit down on the bed. "And if you don't mind, I would love to go to your show tonight," I add, lying down and staring up at the ceiling.

"Cool. Do you want us to pick you up or something," he asks.

"Pick who up? Who the fuck are you talking to, Ray," I hear the same person ask once again.

"Someone. Now shut up, Frank," Ray yells back. "So, yes or no?"

"Umm…yeah, that's fine. Wait, I have a friend that's also going to go. And no, she doesn't know that I know you guys. Well, that I know you and Gerard," I explain, starting to swing my legs.

"Well, if she doesn't know, then we'll take her, too," he says, sounding amused.

"You sure," I ask timidly.

"Positive. Hey, hold on a second, okay," he says suddenly.

"All right."

"Hey, guys, we have to leave a bit early! We need to go pick someone up," I hear him yell.

"Pick who up? Who are you hiding, Ray," I hear a familiar voice ask.

"Remember Alexia, from the airport, Gerard," Ray asks. There's silence for a few seconds before Gerard finally says,

"Oh, yeah. The one you jumped?"

"I didn't jump her, I ran into her. There's a difference, Gerard," Ray points out. "And yeah, that one."

"Wait. I'm hearing about this girl now? How come I wasn't told," the one I presume was Frank, asks.

"Because…just because. So, it's settled, we're picking them up. Now shut up," Ray says. He then returns to talking to me, saying, "They won't mind. So, where do you live?"

I quickly thank him and proceed to tell him where it was that I was staying. "So, at what time are you coming over," I ask after I finish telling him.

"Well, the gig's at 8:30, so probably around seven, just in case we get lost," he says. "Hey, I have to go. I'll see you tonight, all right?"

"Okay. See ya tonight," I agree before hanging up. I search through my phone, looking for Leena's number. I finally find it and press send, waiting for a few seconds before she finally answers.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Leena, it's Alexia. Umm…at what time are you coming over tonight," I ask, messing with my hair.

"Around seven, why," she asks.

"Is there any way you can come earlier, say around six," I ask, trying not to sound desperate or something.

"Yeah, that's fine. Oh, and Jason's driving us, just so you know," she says.

"If it's okay with you, my grandma let me borrow one of her cars. We can take it, that way, we wouldn't bother Jason," I say.

"All right. That's fine with me. Well, I have to go, I'm actually in the middle of something," she says, sounding rushed.

"All right. I'll see you tonight," I say, before hanging up.