Another Hospital Stay

Chapter 12

I poke my head out of my bedroom, looking up and down the hallway only to find…no one in sight. I sigh and walk out, following the same way that Hilda had led me earlier. I quickly make my way downstairs and into the living room, where I find my grandma sitting on the couch, talking to two people, an older woman and a girl around my age.

"Alexia, come here, darling," she says as soon as she sees me. "Let me introduce you to Maria Teresa and her daughter, Valeria (it's like Valerie but the Spanish saying of it)," she adds, indicating to the two of them.

"Hi, how are you doing," I ask politely, shaking each of their hands. "I'm Alexia."

"Val," the younger girl says, smiling. "Now I finally have someone to talk to during the visits," she adds, turning to look at her mom.

"Oh, grandma, before I forget, I'm going out tonight with a friend," I say, looking at her.

"What friend? I didn't know that you knew anyone from here," she says, cocking her head.

"I met her today at the airport, she was on the same flight as I was and she also was the one who gave me a ride here," I explain, standing next to her chair.

"All right. At what time is she coming," my grandma asks, looking me in the eye.

"Around six," I answer.

"Okay. Just be careful and don't stay out to late," she says. "Why don't you take Valeria to your room and get to know each other. She visits quite often," she adds.

"Okay. Come on, let's go up to my room," I say, indicating towards the door. She nods and rises, heading towards the door. As we were walking up, I start talking to her and ask her if she's ever heard of a band called My Chemical Romance.

"Yeah. I'm in love with them. My mom doesn't like them though," she says shaking her head slightly.

"Oh, you know they're having a concert tonight," I say when we reach the top of the stairs and turned, heading towards my room.

"Yeah. I was invited but my mom wouldn't let me go," she says, stopping when we reach my door.

"How old are you anyway," I ask, sounding curious.

"Seventeen. You," she replies.

"Twenty," I say, opening the door.

"Seriously? I thought you were like my age," she says incredulously. She steps into the room and her mouth drops open. "Whoa. This is like the biggest room I have ever been in."

"Yeah, me too. I just got here today," I say, grinning. "Hey, can you hold on a sec? I need to make a quick phone call. I'll be right back," I add, heading towards the balcony.

"Yeah." I slide open the door and step outside, pulling out my phone. I scroll down to Ray's number and take a deep breath, knowing that if he agreed, I will be making someone very happy tonight. I dial his number and wait anxiously for him to answer.

"Hello," I hear him ask after the second ring.

"Hey, Ray, it's me, Alexia," I say, hoping he'd agree.

"Oh, hey, what's up," he asks, sounding happier than when he answered for some reason.

"Well, I was just wondering…" I start before trailing off.

"Who else do you want to bring," he says, like he read my mind.

"My friend, Val. She's like a huge fan of you guys. Please, Ray? I will love you forever and ever," I beg. He starts laughing and I hear him say something to one of the guys.

"We're gonna have more friends coming along," he says.

"Woo hoo! I love new people! How many," I hear someone ask.

"Three now," he replies to whoever asked.

"So, the answer's yes," I ask.

"Well, you never really asked me anything, so there's no answer," he points out.

"Can I take someone else with me? Just one more," I ask.

"Since you asked so nicely, I don't see why not. Just make sure that you're friends don't go anywhere near Frank, okay? He's had to much coffee today," he warns.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you! You're awesome," I say, doing a little victory dance.

"I know. Now, if that's all, I'll see you in an hour, okay," he says.

"Okay. See you later. Wait, do you have my number," I ask.

"Yeah, it's on my phone now. You want me to call you when we get there," he asks.

"Yeah. I don't want my grandma to say something mean," I say.

"All right. I'll call you as soon as we get there," he agrees before hanging up. I jump up in satisfaction before walking back inside.

"I have a question," were the first words out of my mouth as soon as I saw Val, who was lying down on my bed.

"What," she says, sitting up.

"Would your mom let you go out with me and a friend," I ask, sitting at the edge of the bed.

"She might, since she's like really good friends with your grandma," she replies. "Why?"

"Just asking. Run downstairs and see if she will," I say, grinning.

"Okay. I'll be right back," she says, jumping off the bed and running out the door.

I grin and pull out my phone again, calling Leena to tell her that we have someone else whose going with us. As soon as she answered, the first words out of her mouth were, "I'm outside, open the door."

I sigh and get up, heading downstairs just as Val was walking up to tell me that someone was looking for me.

"Just go up to my room. I'll be up in a few minutes," I say, running down the stairs. I hurry to the front door where Hilda was standing next to Leena, who was holding a bag.

"Hey, Leena. Thank you, Hilda," I say, grabbing Leena's arm and dragging her upstairs.

"Dude, I love this house," she says, looking around. "So, who's going with us?"

"A friend. Oh, and don't tell her where we're going, it's a surprise," I say, reaching my room. She nods and her eyes land on Val, who was sitting on my bed.