Another Hospital Stay

Chapter 22

I was downstairs watching TV in the gigantic living room when my phone started ringing.

"Hello," I ask, flipping through channels and finally deciding on a music channel called Fuse.

"Hey, Alexia, it's Ray."

"Oh, hey, what's up," I ask, my face lighting up.

"Nothing. There's been a change of plans. We're not leaving for Belleville until tomorrow. The guys decided that they wanted to hang out here a bit longer. So, do you want to wait another day to go with us? Or do you just want to go ahead and go on your own?"

I think about it for awhile and realize that if I went on my own, I would more than likely get lost, seeing as how I wouldn't know my way around and the guys are from there. Therefore, they would know how to get places.

"Is it all right if I just wait for you guys? I don't know my way around Belleville and you guys are pros at it," I ask timidly.

"No, that's all right. And I was also wondering…do you want to go somewhere? Like catch a movie or something?" he asks hesitantly.

"Are you asking me out?" I ask him, grinning and lying back on the couch.

"Maybe…no…" he says, searching for words. "Yes, I am. So, do you?"

"I don't know. Let me think about it," I say, trying to mess with him. "Sure, I'll go. You remember where I'm staying at, right?"

"Yeah. That enormous house. I remember. I'll pick you up around seven, that fine?" he asks, sounding relieved.

"That's perfect. See you at seven," I reply, hanging up, jumping off the couch and starting to yell like a little kid.

"Alexia, is that you?" I hear my grandfather ask as he was walking through the door.

"Grandpa! I haven't seen you in ages," I yell, dropping my phone on the table and running up to him.

"Hey, mija, como estas," he asks, pulling me into a hug. "Let me look at you." He pulls me away and looks me up and down. "Wow, te pareces exactamente como tu mama, mija.*" He adds, smiling. "Pero tienes la sonrisa de mijo, Omar. Como lo extraño. Tambien ha Josefina.**"

"Nunca conoci ha mi papa, abuelo. Pero cada dia que pasa, lo extraño aunque nunca lo vi,***" I reply in Spanish, knowing my grandpa was more comfortable speaking in his native language than the one that I'm comfortable in.


*You look exactly like your mother.
**But you have Omar's, my son's, smile. How I miss him, along with Josefina.
***I never knew my dad, but everyday that goes by, I miss him. Even if I never saw him.