Another Hospital Stay

Chapter 23

I finish talking to my grandfather and after he heads into the kitchen looking for my grandma, I go back to watching TV. Then I realized that I had told Ana I was going to go pick her up and also promised Ray I would go out with him, but that required me leaving Ana alone. I finally figure out what I needed to do and call Ray, who answers on the first ring.

"Don't tell me you're canceling on me," he asks as soon as he realized it was me calling.

"As much as it pains me to say it, yes, I am. It's just that my best friend is coming and I haven't seen her in ages, Ray," I explain, really feeling bad for canceling on him. "Can I just hang out with her for awhile and then meet up with you?"

"When you say, 'meet up with me,' does that include her, too," he inquires, sounding curious.

"Unless you have a brilliant plan up your sleeve to get her entertained, then yeah that does include her," I say, as if challenging him to get someone.

"All right. Let's see what I can do. I'll see you later then. Do you still want me to pick you up?" he asks.

"Yeah. That's fine with me. Same time as before?" I ask, sitting up straight when I see a music video of a band that had someone with familiar hair in it. "Whoa, you're on TV, Ray."

"I am?! What channel?" he asks excitedly.

"I think it's Fuse. And all of you are on it. It's a video that's in a school," I explain, turning it up.

Well, if you wanted honesty that's all you had to say. I never meant to let you down or have you go. It's better off this way. For all the dirty looks, the photographs your boyfriend took remember when you broke your foot from jumping out the second floor. I'm not okay…I'm not okay…I'm not okay! You wear me out!

"The 'I'm Not Okay,' video? That was a fun video to make. The guy in the mascot at the end that we all tackle…yeah, that's our manager, Brian," Ray explains, sounding amused. "But anyway, yeah, the same time that we settled with before will be fine. You sure about this?"

"Yeah. Now I've got to go, cause Ana's calling me," I say, quickly saying bye and hanging up. "What do you want now?"

"I'm almost there. Actually, I'm just boarding the plane," she literally yells, making me pull the phone a foot away from my ear.

"Ana, honey, calm down. It's not the end of the world. And I've got some good news and some bad news. Which one do you want to hear first?" I ask.

"Good. Now, spill."

"The good news is, Ray asked me out. The bad news, we won't get to hang out that long tonight," I explain, wondering how she would take it.

"Ray asked you out? Wait, so that means you like Ray? Not Gerard? Question, is Gerard available?"

"If I say yes, are you going to go after him and molest him?" I ask, grinning.

"Depends on how he looks like in person. If it's anything from what I've seen in pictures, then hell yeah, I am," she says excitedly.

"He is available. Just don't hurt him," I joke, getting tired of the TV and heading up to my room.

"Dahling, I'm not making any promises, all right?" she says. I knew her so well, that I had a feeling she was jumping up and down in the airport.

"Stop jumping, will you? You're scaring the other people," I say, climbing the stairs and pausing when I see the portraits of my mother and father. "I do look like her," I mumble, looking closely at the one of my mom.

"How'd you know I was jumping up and down," she asks curiously.

"Woman, I know you better than I know myself, when you get excited, you jump," I point out, returning to heading up the stairs.

"Oh, okay. Jumping has stopped. Well, I've got to go now. The woman who I have to hand my ticket to is giving me a death glare," she says, laughing.

"All right. Well, I'll see you in three and a half hours, okay, dahling?" I say, pushing open the door to my room.

"Okay. You want to do me a favor and pick me up?" she asks.

"No. But I will cause that's how much I love you," I joke, going to lie down on my bed.

"I know that was a joke. And if it wasn't, I'm going to pretend it was," she replies. "Well, I'll see you later. Love ya." She hangs up and I put my phone on the table next to the bed.