Another Hospital Stay

Chapter 26

"Umm…I don't think so. Don't want to be like the third wheel or something. You two can go without me," she says as I pulled into the street where my grandparents' house was.

"Well, according to him, you won't be alone. You'll be with us," I explain, telling her what Ray had said. I pull into the driveway and park, getting out followed by her.

"Nice house. But I still wouldn't want to intrude on the date, you know? And from the way you sounded on the phone when you were talking about him, it seemed to me like you actually have a thing for him, Alex," she replies, walking towards the trunk and waiting for me to open it. "Can I get my stuff?"

"Later. I want you to meet my grandma. My grandfather is out," I say, heading towards the front door.

"All right. So, do you like them?" she asks, walking behind me. "I mean, I remember you telling me that you had only met them like once, right? When you were really little?"

"Yeah. They're nice. I'm just getting to know them both. But I love them," I reply, pushing open the front door. "Grandma, ya llegue. Traje mi amiga, Ana."* I head into the living room where I see my grandmother on the phone. She holds up a hand and I wait patiently until she hangs up.

"Que paso, mija," she asks, putting down the phone.

"I want you to meet my friend. Ana, this is my grandmother, my father's mother. Abuela, this is Ana," I say, introducing them.

"It's nice to meet you, ma'am," Ana says politely, shaking her hand.

"You, too. How was your flight?" my grandma asks, smiling.

"It was fine. Long, but fine," Ana replies, grinning.

"Alexia, did you leave her stuff in your car?" my grandmother asks.

"Yeah, I did--Wait, what do you mean my car?" I ask curiously.

"Surprise, mija! It was your grandfather's idea. He thought of it when you called a few days ago to tell us that you were coming. And he figured that we needed to get you something to make up for all those years that we weren't in your life," she says, smiling.

"Really? Oh. My. God! That's so awesome!" I yell, running over to her and pulling her into a hug. "Thank you!"

"Your welcome. Now, go get Ana situated in the room Hilda prepared for her. It's the one right next door to yours," she says, before heading into the kitchen.

"You have a car now!" Ana squeals, grinning.

"I know. That's so crazy. I was wondering why they had that kind of car," I say, heading back outside, followed by her. "So, how long are you staying?"

"I don't know. I didn't plan that far ahead. Maybe a few days. You want some company to go see your mom?" she asks, pulling her bag out of the trunk.

"Yeah, if you want to come," I reply, closing the car door and going back inside.

"Of course! I know how much it means to you to finally be able to see your mom after fifteen years," she answers, following me upstairs.

"Thanks. Well, here's your room," I say, pushing open the door to the room next to mine.

She walks inside and her jaw immediately drops. "Whoa. This room is like bigger than two of my rooms at home, combined! And that bed is gi-normous," she says, walking to the middle of the room and sitting down on the edge of the bed. "And comfortable, too."

"Do you want to get something to eat?" I ask, still standing at the doorway.

"What do you have?"

"I was thinking more along the lines of Whataburger or something like that," I reply, holding up my car keys.

She grins and nods. "I'm all for it. Let's roll," she says, jumping off the bed and running towards the door.