Another Hospital Stay

Chapter 27

"Turn on the radio," Ana ordered, leaning over to turn it on herself.

"Why'd you tell me to turn it on if you were going to do it anyway?" I ask, laughing.

"I dunno. What do you want to listen to?"

"I don't care. You can put it on whatever you want," I reply, shrugging.

She messes with the knob and finally settles on a station called The Edge. We listen to it for awhile and found that the DJ, Ayo, was quite funny.

"He just hit himself in the mouth with the microphone," Ana said, giggling.

"I know. What a loser. That's something I think Leena would probably do," I say, grinning.

"Who's Leena?"

"A girl that I met on the plane when I came down here," I reply, pulling into a Whataburger parking lot.

"Oh. So, drive-thru or go inside," she asks, turning down the volume.

"Inside," I reply noticing a familiar white van parked outside.

"All right. Let's hurry, cause I'm hungry."

"Whatever you say," I reply, getting out.

We both head inside and head towards the front counter. I turn when I hear someone yell out, "Oh. My. God! It's Alexia!"

"Mikey!" I yell, causing people to stare at me. I run over to him and give him a hug. "Howitdo, kiddo?"

"Kiddo? Alexia, I'm older than you, remember?" he says, grinning.

"Oh, yeah. Where are the others?" I ask, noticing that Ana had come to stand next to me. "Oh, and Mikey, this is my best friend, Ana. Ana, this is Mikey." I turn to look at her and notice that she had a funny look on her face.

"Hi, Ana. Nice to meet you," Mikey said, holding out his hand. She takes it and quickly lets go. "And the others are back there, hiding." He motions towards a secluded area of the restaurant where I heard voices. "So, I hear you have a date with Ray tonight?"

"It's not a date. We're just going to catch a movie," I reply, waving my hand in front of Ana's face. "Hey, you gonna order something?" She nods and slowly turns, walking back towards the front counter.

We quickly order some food and head over to where Mikey had said that they were sitting. "Hey, guys. What's going on?" I ask as I neared them.

"Alexia! What are you doing here?" Gerard asks, getting up and giving me a hug.

"Umm…Gerard, this is a restaurant. She probably came here to eat," Frank points out, shooting a spitwad through a straw and causing it to land in Ray's hair.

"Hey, you know how easily things get lost in my hair! Now it's not going to reappear for ages," Ray yelled out, throwing a fry at Frank, who opened his mouth and caught it. "Hey, Alexia. Who's that with you?"

"Oh, yeah, guys, this is Ana. Ana, these are the guys. Gerard, Frank, Ray and Bob," I say, motioning to them, even though I was pretty sure that she already knew who they were.

"Hey, Ana. It's nice to finally meet you," Ray says, getting up and shaking her hand. "You're the only person she has been talking about all day."

"Really?" she managed to get out.

"Yeah, how could I not talk about my best friend?" I reply, sitting down in the empty seat next to Ray.

"Ana, you can sit here, if you want," Gerard offered, motioning to the seat next to him.

"Uh, thanks," she answered, slowly sitting down.

"So, did you just get here," Ray asks quietly. I nod and grab a napkin, gently pulling out the spitwad Frank had gotten stuck in his hair out. "Thanks."

"Yeah. We got to my grandparents' house about ten minutes ago. Then we decided to drive over here in my car," I explain, tossing the napkin at Frank, who wasn't looking and making it hit the side of his face.

"Hey, what was that for?!" he whines, rubbing his face.

"Come on, Frank, you know that didn't hurt," I say, smirking.

"I know it didn't, I was just making a point."

"And what point would that be?"

"Umm….nevermind," he said, turning and going back to talking with Gerard and Bob, who were talking to Ana.

"Did you just say you have a car?" Ray asks, raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah, my grandparents just surprised me with one before we got here," I reply, stealing one of his fries.

"Those are mine, you know?" he points out, frowning.

"Don’t be a baby. You can get some of mine when they're done," I reply, stealing another one. "And I'll be right back," I add, when I hear our order called. "Come on, Ana." We were about to get up when a manager walked up to our table, limping. He was kinda chunky and had a beard thing going on.

"Hey, look, it's Santa Claus," Frank yells out, causing everyone around us to look at him and laugh.

"Frank, shut the hell up man," Gerard whispers, trying to hold back on laughing.

"Well, he does," Frank replied, defending himself.

The guy known as 'Santa Claus,' approached our table, glaring at Frank and setting down the tray of food that had Ana's food and mine on it. Just as suddenly as he appeared, he quickly left.

"Frank, that was mean," I scold, grinning.

"But he does look like him! Did you not see that beard thing going on? It was even white!" Frank exclaimed.

"Here, Ana." I say, passing her the tray after taking off my order.

"Umm…Alex? Can I talk to you for a second?" Gerard asks. "Alone."