Another Hospital Stay

Chapter 29

He pulls away, dazed. "What was that for?" he asks, a slight grin starting to appear.

I shrug and glance out the window, blushing. "I did what I knew you wouldn't have the courage to do," I reply, turning to look him in the eyes.

"Did Gerard say something to you," he asks, eyes twinkling.

"Whatever are you talking about? Gerard just wanted to ask me something," I reply innocently.

"Riigghht…I don’t believe you," he says slowing, grinning.

"You don’t believe me? Fine, I'll just go away and pretend that nothing happened. That this didn't happen," I reply, opening the door and stepping out. "Oh, and get out of my car. Now!"

"I was just kidding! I didn't mean for you to take it the wrong way," he answered, getting out and looking at me over the top of the car.

"Hey, Ray? Guess what?"

"What?"

"I'm just messing with you," I respond, walking around and pulling him into a hug.

"I knew that. I was just going along with you," he said, looking relieved.

"Uh huh. Sure you were. Now, let's go back inside," I suggest, wrapping an arm around his waist.

"So, can I ask you something?" he asks, putting his arm around my shoulders.

"Go ahead."

"Well, since you already made the first move…do you want to be my girlfriend?"

"I don't know," I reply, chewing on my bottom lip. His arm gently tightens around my shoulders, as if squeezing me would make me say 'yes.' "I haven't known you that long. Hell, I don't even know what your favorite color is."

"All right. It's green. Now, what do you say?"

"Really? That's my favorite color too," I exclaim, walking towards the door. He nods and I look up at him, wondering if I should just go ahead and say yes.