Another Hospital Stay

Chapter 34

"So, does Ana actually like Gerard?" Ray asks, looking over at me.

"Yeah. That's what she told me. But what I'm wondering is…what Frank is up to. I'm thinking he's actually talking to someone. Wait a minute! I've got it! Hand me my phone," I say, reaching my hand out. Ray places it in my hand and I quickly call Leena, smiling as I did so.

"Hello?" she asks after answering on the fifth ring.

"What's up, woman?" I ask, slowing down since a light had just turned red.

"Nothing. Where are you? You haven't called me at all since yesterday," she replies.

"I'm hanging out with Ray. So, can I ask you something?" I ask, my fingers tapping the steering wheel.

"Go right ahead."

"Did you like Frank?"

"Alexia, you're a bit late. He's been calling me since yesterday night. We're supposed to go out tonight," she says slowly.

"Wait! What?" I ask, bewildered.

"Yeah, he asked me for my number last night after the concert, you know. On the ride home?" she explains. "Hold on a minute. I think he's here." I hear her walking around and a door creaking open. "Hi, Frank."

"Hey, Leena. You ready to go," I hear Frank ask her.

"Let me talk to him," I order, looking over at Ray and winking.

"Here, someone wants to talk to you," Leena says.

"Who," Frank asks curiously.

"Just take the damn phone, Frank," she says with a sigh.

"Hello?" I hear him ask hesitantly.

"Iero, why didn't you tell me you were talking to Leena," I demand, pushing the gas pedal just as the stupid light changed to green.

"I didn't know it was illegal to talk to someone without clearing it through someone first," he answers slowly. "Besides, I didn't want you to start going all crazy on me."

"Ah, okay. Well, don’t do anything to her. Don't drink and drive. Don't have unprotected sex. And so on," I say, teasing him.

"Alexia?"

"What?"

"Shut up."

My mouth drops open in shock when he said that. "What did you say to me," I ask, pulling into the movie theater parking lot.

"You heard me. I said shut up," he repeats.

"Say that to me one more time and the next time I see you, you won't be able to have kids," I threaten, causing Ray to start laughing. "Put Leena back on."

"Here, she wants to talk to you," I hear him say.

"What did you tell him? He's looking at me weirdly," Leena asks, sounding amused.

"Nothing, I just had to get a few things clear. Well, I've got to go now. I'll see you later. Have fun with Frank," I say before hanging up.

"What did Frank say when you told him that?" Ray asks, finally calming down.

"Nothing. I didn't give him time to say anything," I reply. "So, I was just wondering, you want to ride with me tomorrow? I don't think I'll make it on my own and if all goes well, Ana will more than likely be with Gerard."

"Sure. That's fine with me. I don't think the guys will notice I'm gone, anyway. I mean, I've been left behind so many times that it's to the point where I end up calling them and their already a few miles away before they realize I'm not there. And that's when I actually call them," he says, grinning.