Where's My Happily Ever After?

Misery Loves Its Company

“Stupid faulty wiring,” I mumbled to myself, trudging down the stairs. The electricity had flicked off yet again. I sighed, making my way for the fuse box. I flipped a switch and the lights shot back on.

It’d been four months since Edwin had dumped me on my ass. No, I didn’t blame him for doing it. But I did blame him for forsaking the child he had wanted so badly. So I only drink blood once every two weeks, so I make sure to be careful with myself. I know it’s not healthy, but I just don’t have much will to live at this point. The only thing that keeps me going is when I look down at my tummy (which was pretty big) and think of the child I’d have in only a few months.

I knew I could call up Gage, but I also knew that relationship wouldn’t work out from experience. Vampires and humans don’t go together, after all. I learned that the hard way. Maybe Jayden would want me. But then again, he’s a player. I was better off alone to be honest.

I headed for the living room to watch some television and take care of my depression. I hadn’t exactly coped with losing Edwin because I still loved him, but I wouldn’t ever take him back. Well, I wouldn’t be getting the option anyway, but I had promised myself not to crawl back to him. He didn’t even check in on the baby! Then again, the only time he called was to tell me he dropped my clothes off at my new house. He didn’t even know he was going to be a daddy soon.

Oh yeah, I’m getting ahead of myself, aren’t I? So turns out old house had been burned to the ground! Gage never did learn how to turn off a stove. The night I screwed him, well, he had decided to stay at my house even after I had gone back with Edwin. He made himself dinner and decided to have a stove fire! He didn’t know at the time since he had left for work, but he came home to see he burned my house down! He apologized like mad when I saw him at the coffee shop a few weeks ago, but I mean the house was literally gone, so I had moved a few streets down.

I winced and a hand flew involuntarily to my stomach to hold it as my baby started throwing a fit. The thing would go into a fit randomly and it always hurt like Hell! It felt like he was biting my insides!

“Calm down in there, if you could,” I hissed at my unborn child, glaring at him. He ignored my threats and continued to cause his mommy unbearable pain. It’d have been so much easier if I had Edwin holding my hand the whole time like he said he would be. But I guess he broke a lot of promises he made.

I looked down at my ring finger. There used to be an engagement ring there, but now it was bare. After all, he had taken the ring and thrown it as hard as he could. He was really done with me, I knew.

“Poor bastard child,” I whispered to my baby, trying not to cry. He calmed down; as if he could sense that his mommy was sad and needed a break. I sighed, wiping away the tears that managed to form. My phone started vibrating and I picked it up. It was Quinn texting me. We still talked after all.

“Yo, J-dizzle! What up?”

I smiled. I felt a hint of guilt: I hadn’t told her that I was expectant.

“Sitting at home. Alone.” I added a frowning face.

“Want me to come over?”

“No,” I texted quickly. “I don’t want you to see me like this.”

“Oh. Ok.”

And I stopped. I couldn’t let her come. She would see that I was having a baby and she’d tell Nathan who’d tell Edwin! I couldn’t let that happen no matter how much I missed my best friend. Misery is no fun, let me tell you, but as they say:

Misery loves its company. So I guess me and Misery will be together forever, until death do we part.