Where's My Happily Ever After?

World's Best Grand-mama

I stared out the window as Edwin drove us past town upon town. I hadn't realized how long a half hour drive could seem when you're not in the right company. I didn't even try to glance at him once for I didn’t want to see his smug face. I just knew he'd make some smartass comment about how I'm so obedient and a good girl. I knew I'd lose it and end up getting beat again.

The sky was getting darker as it started to rain. With a small sigh, I rolled up the window and adjusted myself in my seat so I could look through the front window. I heard Edwin's window roll up, but I kept my eyes glued to the road. To be honest, I'd rather look at all the road kill than Ed's face.

"Are you coming or not?" an impatient voice asked me. I glanced up, pulling myself from my trance, and saw Edwin standing beside me, holding my door open as he unbuckled my seatbelt.

"I can do things for myself," I reminded him, venom slipping into my voice. He scoffed.

"I doubt that. I'd be surprised if you could stand."

Now, in an effort to show him up, I pushed him away and stood carefully on my feet. After I had succeeded in stabilizing my body on my feet, I stuck my tongue out at him. But soon my legs buckled and I shrieked as I fell to the ground—well, almost did. Edwin's arms caught me and he pulled my shaking body to him as he picked me up in his arms.

"I told you," he muttered, shaking his head.

I could have come up with some wisecrack about his grand-mama, but I was too busy trying to stop trembling in his arms. I couldn't even stand on my own now? Maybe it was a good thing Edwin suddenly wanted to partake in parenthood. I knew I'd be needed him despite how I felt about that.

"We're here," Edwin called loudly, slamming the door behind him with his back since his arms were busy with carrying me.

"Oh, Jade! You're back!" Edwin's mother cried out, smiling as she bounded into the room. "We were afraid we'd have to give up on Eddie ever being happy again." Edwin helped me down beside him. He kept his arm wrapped around me and held me close so I wouldn't fall. "Oh my goodness! Jade, you're…you're—"

"Oh my God, Edwin knocked her up!" Clarence yelled, gaping in the doorway. I shrunk into myself as Edwin was no doubt beaming. Clarence and Melinda darted over to me, gawking at how disgustingly obese I was.

"I'm gonna be the world's best grand-mama!" Melinda smiled, her face glowing. I felt Edwin's grip tighten on my and I stole a glance up at him. He looked so happy. I would never get why he wanted to be a dad so bad.

"And I'm going to be a grand-father," Clarence murmured, not even asking as he reached out and put a hand lightly on my stomach. Edwin's hand twitched as if he was about to swat his father's hand away. I glanced once more at him, but he was focusing on his dad with narrowed eyes. How possessive could a guy get? Melinda glanced up to her son and grabbed her husband's hand, holding it tightly in hers as she stepped back a few steps.

"Honey, are you alright? You want this baby, don't you?" she asked softly. Edwin's gaze softened.

"I want this baby more than I've ever wanted anything," he murmured softly, holding me even tighter. I leaned on his shoulder out of fatigue. We hadn't been standing for more than ten minutes and I was already so tired.

"What about Jade? Certainly you wanted her back more than you want a baby," Clarence commented, skeptical. Oh, I was waiting for the answer to this. I looked up at Edwin and he was glowering at his father.

"Shut up. I didn't have to choose between the two, so this all worked out fine, didn't it?" Venom was dripping in his words as he lifted me off my feet again. "Look, we'll be in my room, okay?" He didn't wait for an answer as he carried me away. I clung to him, afraid he would drop me in a fit of rage. He once again closed the door by leaning on it and sat me gently on the bed. He glanced at me through these crazed eyes. I was just about ready to scream for my life when his lips crashed onto mine all of a sudden. The kiss was urgent and his bottom lip was quivering as he pulled me closer.

And here I thought I was the pregnant lady with the mood swings!