Where's My Happily Ever After?

Sacks of Bad Analogies

Edwin was still kissing me, but he was getting more into it. His hands were trailing up and down my body and his tongue slipped into my mouth. It didn't occur to me what he was after until his hands went to my back and under my shirt, messing with the hook on my bra.

"Edwin," I muttered against his lips, trying to pull away from him, but he just pulled me closer still.

"I love you," he mumbled softly, kissing my forehead. His eyes looked so soft and he looked so much like the Eddie I'd fallen in love with. I just couldn't say no to that face. As soon as he'd gotten my shirt off, there was a small knock on the door. I swear it was God watching over me and I thanked him mentally even as Edwin sighed. "Come in." He fixed my shirt as he grumbled something, annoyed.

"Jade!" Manny squealed, running into the room and jumping onto my lap. She tilted her head back and smiled up at me with beaming eyes. "Oh my gosh! Mommy and Daddy are having a baby?"

"Yes," I choked, embracing her as tightly as I could. "We're having a baby boy."

"A baby brother?" she questioned thoughtfully. She grinned like a maniac and jumped off of me to hug Edwin's leg. He glanced down at her, making a weird face. He laughed slightly before leaning down to pick her up in his arms. He kissed her cheek softly.

"Yes, Manny. A little baby brother," he cooed, smiling lightly as she gaped at him.

"I've never had a brother before!" she shrieked, squirming in his arms until he put her down. She darted across the room, just bouncing off the walls. I giggled while I watched her hop around like a sack of energy! Only she was a small, adorable sack. Well, more of a person and—oh, forget it!

All of a sudden the bed shifted and Edwin was sitting beside me. He placed one arm behind my back and pulled me to him. He kissed me tenderly, lovingly. It was a quick peck, but I melted in his arms. I just couldn't stay mad at him if he was going to be my Eddie again. I just couldn't.

But, while Monique was jumping up and down on the bed, the door creaked open and Edwin's father peered in. Edwin went a little rigid, but relaxed when I took his hand and placed it on my swollen tummy. He smiled softly at me before glanced back to Clarence.

"What?" Edwin asked a bit impatiently.

"I’d rather not discuss this in front of the child," he murmured, glancing at Manny who was now sitting on the bed, bouncing in her seat. She was humming to herself with this cheerful smile plastered to her face. I knew nothing in the world could take that grin from her.

"Manny, honey," I mumbled, placing a hand on her shoulder. "Could you let the grown-ups talk for a little bit, love?"

"Okay!" She jumped up and ran to the door. Bowing to Clarence, she hummed another tune as she ran out the door and down the hallway.

"What is it?" I asked him, more than a little worried. Edwin squeezed my hand tightly, as if he knew what was coming. Then again, he could read minds and I couldn't.

"I've just received word that Monique's parents and Nathalie won't be coming back for her." I stared at him blankly.

"What do you mean? They can't just leave her here alone!" I was downright furious with them! I didn't care if they didn't want to have to put up with a rambunctious—oh, what a word!—child. They had to!

"Jade," Edwin chastised, shaking his head. "They're dead."