Where's My Happily Ever After?

"The Look"

"What?" I stared at him, shaking my head furiously. "You shouldn't even joke about that kind of thing. What if Manny hears you? She's just a kid. She'll believe you!"

"Jade," Edwin murmured. "I'm not making any sick joke here. They died. They went on a camping trip because Cassandra and Kent are big on those things. They decided to take Nathalie along, but they didn't think Monique would be old enough for it. They were afraid she'd get hurt by a bear. But a slayer got to them when they were out. They had no way of defending themselves. Cassie and Kent were focusing on protecting Nathalie. They couldn't have seen the other two slayers come up behind them." I stared dead at him while a tear ran down my cheek. "Jade? Are you alright?"

I had just given her a speech about hope and love just half a year ago. Now she was dead? Shock is a funny thing and I just didn't know how to react. I was entirely numb until it finally dawned on me: Manny was all alone. It was like a smack in the face and I threw my face into Edwin's chest as I cried.

"I most certainly am not alright!" I sobbed, clutching at his shirt as I tried to regain my composure. He put an arm around me and pulled me from him so he could kiss my forehead. "I could have done something!" Surely I could have.

"Baby, no. You had no way of knowing. These kinds of things happen. It'll be alright, love, I promise."

"But what about Monique?" I bawled. It would simply break her heart.

"Melinda is breaking it simply to her," Clarence said softly. "I'm sure she'll be okay. I just simply don't know what to do with her…" He walked out of the room, shaking his head.

"Why are you lying?" I heard someone whisper from the hallway. Her voice was going up an octave out of desperation as she tried to hold onto the shred of hope she had left. Manny broke down and I heard her start crying as someone whispered softly to her.

"I have to talk to her," I told Edwin, standing up. He grabbed my hand and jerked me back down.

"No. I'll go get her, okay? You need to limit your walking. It's hard on you." Ah, so there was the overprotective psycho!

"Edwin, I have to talk to Manny!" I yelled, yanking my hand from him. He seized my wrist, shaking his head at me.

"Hold on. I'm not letting you go anywhere without me." He stood up and grabbed my hand tightly as I pulled him out of the room. Manny was sitting with the wall to her back as she sobbed, her hands curled into tiny fists. I kneeled down beside her and kissed her trembling hand.

"Monique, it'll be okay, I promise," I whispered softly, tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ear. She looked up at me through bloodshot eyes.

"How will it be okay? I don't have a family anymore!" she shrieked, snatching her hand from me. I couldn't help but feel a little hurt—okay, I felt a lot hurt, but that is beside the point.

"We love you, Manny. You can come with us," I mumbled, kissing her cheek.

"What?" Edwin and Monique both asked in shock. I glanced up to Edwin and saw him giving me "The Look". In case you don't know what "The Look" is, it's the look someone gives you when they don't agree at all with what you've just said and there's no way in Hell that they're going through with that. I can assure you that, if you've never gotten it, you don't want to ever see it in your life!

"Manny, go pack, alright? I'll be there soon." Manny glanced up to me and then Edwin before nodding and running to her room.

"Jade, you can't be serious. We're already having a baby. We don't have the time to raise two kids!" Edwin argued, narrowing his eyes at me.

"What else did you expect me to do? I can't just leave her all alone!" I hissed, returning his death stare. I sighed, immediately feeling bad. "Edwin, we both love her to tears, don't we? Plus, you get to be even more of a daddy now."

"I want to have kids with you, Jade—not run around adopting everything that moves!"

"Eddie…" I leaned my head on his shoulder. "I feel faint." I smiled to myself as my legs buckled. He immediately caught me, sighing.

"Fine. We'll try this. But I'm not guaranteeing anything."

"Yay!" I cried, jumping out of his arms and running to Manny's room.

"Hey!" he screamed after me, but I didn't care. I pushed open her door and saw her staring up at me with questioning eyes.

"Who wants to come live with Mommy and Daddy?" I asked her, grinning like a maniac. She perked up and waved her hands in the air.

"Me! Me!" she cried, jumping up. I pulled her into my arms and sat her on my hip.

"Then it's settled. To Edwin's house where we can mooch off of him for an infinity or two!" I shrieked, darting out of the room as she giggled. Edwin glared as he walked into the room to get her suitcase.

"Great…" I heard him mumble, but I ignored it as I sat her down to carefully waddle down the stairs.

It really makes you see how precious life is…