Where's My Happily Ever After?

Profound Effects From Innocent Places

"Edwin, get up," I begged, tugging on the arm he had dangling over the edge of the bed. He was out cold. I took in a deep breath and leaned closer to his ear. "Edwin-Riku Kaiser!"

"Oh my God!" he screamed, darting up in bed with his hands over his ears. He shot me a death glare and I returned his gaze with a vibrant smile.

"Hurry up," I murmured, throwing the covers off of him. I saw him leaning around to see the clock, so I told him, "Six o' five."

"Then why the Hell am I getting up?" he grumbled, lying back down and throwing the pillow over his face. I sighed, tearing the pillow from him.

"We have to be there at six-thirty and I don't want to be late. Come on, Eddie. Your daughter is already showing you up. She's practically ready and you're still half-naked!" I grabbed his hand and yanked him onto the cold, wood floor. He mumbled some profanity at me regarding my great aunt Pricilla and the local garbage man before helping himself up and tottering over to the closet. I took the time to go check on Monique.

I made my way across the hall and to her door. I knocked twice before opening it gently and stepping in, closing the door quietly behind me. Monique glanced back at me from her small vanity before turning back to her mirror and resuming her hair brushing.

"Almost ready, honey?" I murmured, stepping up behind her and absentmindedly pulling a small layer of her hair into a ponytail. I snatched a ribbon from her drawer and tied it in her hair, smiling as I looked at her in the mirror.

"Yes, ma'am. Is Daddy up yet?" she asked, turning around in her chair. I nodded, stroking her perfectly straight brunette hair.

"He's getting dressed. I'm not so sure he's as excited about church as you are. But we'll do something fun afterwards, alright?" I grabbed her small hand and helped her up.

"Oh! Oh! Mommy, I know what I want to do!" she shrieked, jumping up and down. I smiled as she grinned absurdly.

"Anything, baby. What does my little baby girl want to do?"

"Ice-skate!" she cried, dragging me into my bedroom. She didn't bother to knock, but luckily Edwin was dressed.

"Where's the fire?" he asked. Manny ran up to him and jumped into his arms, knocking him to the floor.

"After church we're going ice-skating!" she told him, this brilliant light in her wide eyes. Edwin cast a horrified look at me.

"Jade is going to kill herself!"

"Wanna bet?" I growled, scowling at him. He chuckled.

"Gladly. I'd win."

"We'll see about that. Just hurry up and let's go. I'd rather be early than late." I helped Monique off of Edwin and then helped my fallen fiancé up. Manny grabbed my right hand and Edwin's left. I glanced to Edwin and he was smiling fondly down at the little girl. She started pulling us down the stairs.

"I love you," Edwin whispered to me as we swung the little girl back and forth as we walked to the car. I smiled, leaning over to kiss him quickly.

I could only hope he'd stay my Eddie forever. Who knew a kid could have such a profound effect on someone?