Where's My Happily Ever After?

Scream In Silence

“Jade, put the kid down.” His voice was low and hardly audible. He didn’t sound like the Edwin that had been sitting beside me laughing only seconds before; he sounded like the man who had beaten me in his bedroom.

I trembled violently, shaking my head furiously. I held Avery even tighter to me since he was my only lifeline. “Eddy, please, no.” I could barely hear my own voice. I glanced over at Monique, who loved somewhat confused yet naively at peace, and Edwin’s parents. They seemed a bit more aware of what was going on.

“Juliette-Jade, put the child down!” Edwin jerked me to him and I bit back a cry as his nails dug into my arm. I whimpered quietly, but his eyes didn’t soften as he ripped my baby from my arms. I cried and grasped at him, but Edwin held him just out of reach.

“Edwin! This is hardly necessary!” Melinda shouted, rising to her feet.

“Melinda, would you mind watching over your grandson while I talk with Jade?” Edwin asked, playing it innocent. I saw a false sparkle in his eye. I don’t think Melinda cared much as she squealed, gathering her grandson in her arms and cooing at him, before she walked back to her seat. “Jade, after you.”

He practically shoved me ahead of him and I stumbled up the stairs, so terrified of what would happen once he closed the bedroom door behind him. I didn’t have much time to wonder about my punishment before I was tossed carelessly across the room. I stumbled over to the bed, falling face down and not making any attempt to get up. I’d rather swallow my pride than face Edwin.

“Jade, stand up.”

“I love you.”

“Get the fuck up!”

I sighed inwardly as I forced myself to my feet. I hardly had time to cry out as I was shoved suddenly to the wall. Edwin pinned me there, his hard eyes boring into me. I was the one whose gaze faltered as I looked to my feet. He grabbed my chin roughly and tilted it up, crushing his lips to mine and demanding obedience. I held my tongue as long as I could, but I just couldn’t be the good little girl when his hands started roaming.

“Edwin, stop!” I shrieked, shoving him off. He stumbled back a little, a shocked look on his face. That was soon replaced with obvious anger and I cowered against the wall, wishing I could sink into it and vanish from that dreadful situation.

“You don’t tell me what to do, darling,” he hissed, lashing out and snatching my wrist. I winced silently as he pulled me into a cold, possessive embrace. “I won’t have my son being a bastard child.”

“That’s too bad, isn’t it?” I growled, turning my head away from him. He, unfortunately, cupped my face with one hand and turned me back to look at him. Beneath his stern eyes, I saw a hint of the light that had been blatant on his face when he was holding his son. There was also a bit of betrayal.

“Why won’t you marry me?” His voice was a mere whisper and he was so close that his sweet breath washed into my face. I had to check the urge to lean closer.

“I’ll marry you once it’s possible for me to scream silently,” I spat, sarcasm finding my lips at the worst possible time.

And the hint of light vanished as his face quickly twisted up in rage. He slammed me against the wall and I cried out as my back smacked the brick. I started bawling, but he didn’t seem to care.

“That’s too fucking bad! I am ready and I’m not waiting for some bimbo to make up her mind! I fucking love you. I’m not about to risk losing you. We’ll be together for a goddamn eternity, and I won’t have you saying otherwise! I’ll ask again.” He grabbed the collar of my shirt and lifted my feet off the floor. “Will you marry me?”

“No!” I spat, squirming. He dropped me and I let out a breath, but too soon. I screamed as he backhanded me, sending me sliding across the floor. I stayed there, shaking. I started wailing when he walked over and squatted beside me, leaning down to my ear.

“Let’s try once more, shall we? Will you marry me?” he purred, an amused look on his face. I shook my head and once again the amusement vanished from his face. He grabbed my hair and yanked me up as I shrieked, trying to pry him off. He ignored me as I screamed and screamed, begging him to put me down. Edwin threw me into a wall again and I heard something crack. I could feel blood dripping down my face as well as saltwater tears. I cried as the tears found the new wounds and seeped in with the blood.

“Change your mind yet?” Edwin asked, suddenly securing me at his side.

“Edwin, please stop! Please!” I cried, staring at my elbow. It was bent at an awkward angle that wasn’t pleasant to look at.

“Just say yes already!” he barked, placing his hand gently on my cheek and dangerously close to a cut.

“Please stop.”

I screamed even louder as he dug his nail in the wound, twisting it around relentlessly. I just kept screaming until my legs collapsed underneath me and I found myself lying at his feet. I squeezed my eyes shut, begging the pain to leave. It didn’t, but Edwin reached down and pulled me into his arms. I buried my face in his chest, begging him to stop. I heard the door creak open and was about to look when Edwin spoke.

“Hello, Manny,” he bid cheerfully, all anger gone as I wept silently into his chest. He turned back to me, releasing me from his embrace to swoop gracefully down onto one knee. He grasped my hand gently, kissing it once. “Jade, will you marry me?”

Why was he asking again? Did he honestly think my answer had changed?

I glanced back at Manny and saw her beaming, nearly jumping up and down as she held Avery in her arms. And then I understood.

He knew I wouldn’t say no in front of our daughter. He knew I wouldn’t crush her like that. I glanced up at him and saw him smirking, gloating.

“Honey, will you?” His eyes bore into mine and I could tell he knew he’d won.

I could hardly find a voice to answer with, but I managed a “Yes” before my voice left me completely. I bit my lower lip to stop its quivering. Edwin was still smirking as he slipped the damn ring onto my finger and kissed it. He stood straight up and pulled me into his arms, probably to hide my deformed face from Monique. I felt blood leaking out of my arms, which was presumably from his nails when he had held my arms much too tightly. I heard Monique squeal and felt the ground vibrating slightly as she surely bounced off the walls.

And all I could do was weep quietly...