Where's My Happily Ever After?

Fear The Almighty Iron Bladder!

“See why I don’t want you out of my sight?” Edwin hissed, pacing in front of me as I sat quietly on the couch. He sounded pissed off, but I knew he was just worried. “If something had happened to you... Jade, don’t do that to me ever again.”

He was suddenly right in front of me, on one knee. He took my hand in his and brought it to his lips to kiss it softly.

“I’m sorry,” I whispered, kissing his forehead as my thoughts wandered.

Who was that man? Had I fallen out of love with Edwin? I was supposed to marry the man, so how was I supposed to say “I do” when I really don’t? Also, was it possible that I was leaning more towards my high school lover? I knew the answer to that one at least: yes. While I was sitting on Edwin’s lap as silence set in, I knew that I would have rather been sitting on Jasper.

I probably could have worded that better, huh? ...Oh well.

It took Quinn and Nathaniel long enough to get home, and I counted my blessings when they finally walked through the door at around six in the morning. Unfortunately, Jasper walked in right after them, gorgeous as ever as he sat on the other side of me. Edwin’s hold on my waist tightened as he held me even closer, refusing to let me breathe.

“He was still here, Nathan,” Edwin hissed suddenly, kissing the top of my head. “The bastard tried to get Jade, too!”

“Oh my God!” Quinn cried, tearing herself from Nathan and pulling me away from Edwin. She was obviously good as new. “Are you okay? I swear I didn’t know!”

“I’m fine,” I mumbled, smiling. I hugged her suddenly, fake crying. “Don’t worry, mama, the bad man’s gone! He’s gone!”

Quinn and I both started laughing. I saw Nathaniel smile slightly and Jasper was grinning like a moron. We truly hadn’t changed since school. But Edwin wasn’t laughing. The guy was too serious.

“Jade could have died, and you are all laughing about it?”

He stormed out of the room, but I couldn’t bring myself to chase after him.

“Who shoved a cat up his decrepit ass?” Jasper mumbled, rolling his eyes. “Quinn, if you are Jade’s mother than is Nathaniel the father? I see that she got your insanity, but what did she get from her dad?”

“She got his iron bladder!” Quinn shrieked, laughing maniacally. She threw on a somber face for me. “Shouldn’t you check up on your raging fiancé?”

“I guess I should, but I hate dealing with him when he’s like this... Oh my goodness! I know what we need to do!”

“What?”

“Avery needs to get baptized!” I tore myself from Quinn’s arms and grabbed Avery from his spot on the nearby recliner. Monique shot up from her spot on the floor.

“We’re going to church?” she asked, eagerness in her eyes. I smiled.

“Yep. And if we hurry we can make it to early service.”

“I’ll get daddy!”

“Jade, the old church?” Quinn asked quietly, a small smile on her face.

“Yeah. Just like old times. We have the whole gang: you, me, and that homeless guy that follows me wherever I go: Jasper!”

“Bob’s your uncle,” he muttered, smirking.

“He sure is! Now get my coat!”

I only hoped Edwin didn’t kill poor messenger Monique!