Where's My Happily Ever After?

An Elephant Never Forgets, But A Pastor Might!

“Edwin, please. Shut up!” Quinn shrieked, shoving him lightly as we walked into the church.

“I don’t see the fucking point! He’s was born a sinner from Hell, so what is the goddamn prick of a preacher going to do? Save his soul by dipping him in some bathwater? It’s ridiculous!”

“Edwin, please. People are staring,” I whispered, glancing nervously around.

Jasper had told me that no one would remember a thing about my family’s last visit to church, but I was still paranoid. How could one guy have so much mind power that he could wipe the whole church community’s minds of Edwin’s scene? Plus, he didn’t exactly love Edwin. I could almost smell the chaos the moment Todd walked into the room. I flinched as he stepped closer.

“Jade, we haven't seen you in forever,” Todd told me with a smile. “Oh, and Jasper is here, too! My, my, how time flies. I always knew you two would last forever. And look at your darling children.”

Jasper and I both averted our eyes from him. I offered an awkward smile to Jasper, and he mirrored my response. Edwin seized my hand suddenly, jerking me away from Jasper and into his arms.

“She’s mine, actually,” Edwin growled, glaring at the pastor.

“You’re not making a good second first impression,” I mumbled in his ear. I only received a snarl in return.

“Oh, I’m sorry. I just assumed... I’m terribly sorry.” Todd grimaced, in an awkward situation. He turned to Quinn and opened his mouth to speak, but immediately made a very strange face.

“Todd? Don’t you remember me?” Quinn asked, sounding a little hurt. After all, she had interned at the church for two summers.

“Of course, Samantha. I have to go get ready for the sermon and the baptizing. I’ll see you all soon.” He cast one last glance to Quinn and Nathaniel before turning and leaving abruptly.

Quinn seemed rather put off, but Nathan was coaxing her out of it. Edwin released me from his grip as soon as the pastor had his back turned. I glanced to Monique only to see her mingling happily with all the churchgoers, making sure to speak with everyone again. Jasper met my gaze, but I was the one to look away.

We had always been told that we made the perfect couple...

“Jade, let’s just get this over with,” Edwin grumbled, taking Avery into his arms.

“You should be happy that your son is getting baptized. Being a father is an honor,” Jasper growled at Edwin suddenly, narrowing his eyes.

“Oh, but you won’t ever know that honor, will you? I know how to be a dad, so you can shut the fuck up, pretty boy.” Venom slipped into his voice, but Jasper didn’t falter.

“I would’ve made a better father to Jade’s children than you.”

Oh, he’d hit a nerve. Just lovely.

“You would not!” Edwin handed Avery back over to me.

I watched as his hands curled into tight fists. I sighed, giving my child to Nathaniel for a moment.

“Please, I don’t want to remember my son’s baptizing day as the day you two killed each other.”

I grabbed Edwin’s hand and kissed his lips quickly. He seemed satisfied with that. I allowed myself to breathe again, and soon we all walked into the sanctuary.

But the tormented look I had caught in Jasper’s eyes almost killed me.