Where's My Happily Ever After?

Divine Right Grants Us Killing Rights

Jasper had the biggest grin on his face when Avery was swimming in the holy water. Edwin didn’t seem to care at all. Quinn was smiling at me while Nathaniel was smiling at her.

But I couldn’t watch my own son being baptized. No, my attention was focused on the church officials. They were all staring at us. Not really us, but mainly Nathan and Quinn. A spark of apprehension shot through Todd’s eyes as I met his gaze with my piercing eyes. His steps faltered, but he returned my son to me.

“Jade, will we be seeing you again?”

I narrowed my eyes at him, suspicious.

“Perhaps. Quinn has been talking an awful lot about getting back into the church bit. She says she’s missed it.”

“Has she? That’s a shame. No one should ever be turned away from the Lord.”

“Of course not,” I agreed, keeping my eyes on the other church goers around us. The service was ending and most were leaving, but the officials stayed behind.

Within ten minutes all of the civilians were gone. There was an eerie sense hanging around us like clouds.

I excused myself before walking very calmly to the restroom, aware of the eyes on me. I waited a few moments for Quinn to come.

“What is it, Jade? You’re acting funny.”

“Quinn, the man you saw: describe him.”

“Uh, well, he had rather dark eyes and he carried himself well, though he was on the heavier side. He moved very nimbly, almost like he’d been walking and perfecting his walking since the moment he was born. He had to have a high discipline.”

“We have to leave. Now.”

“What? Why?”

“Now!” I screamed, shoving her out of the bathroom.

She quieted her voice as we walked slowly, too carefully, back to our group. Edwin sent me a curious glance, but then he pried into my mind. Jasper caught my thoughts as well, and I watched as he reached out with his mind, prying into Todd’s head. The strain was visible on his face, then there was shock.

“We have to go,” I said loudly. “We’ll miss a previous obligation.”

“No, you don’t. You won’t be going anywhere.”

Todd stepped closer to me, a stern look on his face.

“Tell me, Todd, you must have learned a lot growing up in a house full of God praising.”

“I learned discipline.”

“And how to carry yourself.”

“I’m sorry, Jade, but I can’t let you leave.”

“Oh, and why not?” I asked, trying to stay calm. We were outnumbered, but I didn’t know if we were outmatched.

“I cannot let such demonic sinners from hell continue to ruin God’s world. It’s nothing personal.”

I thought about running, but the instant the idea crossed my head, the only entrance was sealed with a deadbolt and some kind of magic.

“You holy bastard,” I hissed under my breath, sneering at him as the rest of his vampire slayers lined up with him.

“Sorry, but I’m afraid God is on our side.”

So it seemed that it was five vampires and a baby fledgling against twenty skilled vampire slayers.

Edwin perked up suddenly, a devious grin spreading across his face. Murder was on his mind.

This was going to be his favorite church sermon.

“I get the fat pastor,” he told everyone rather loudly. “I’ll show him what a great man I really am.”