'Cause I don't shine if you don't shine

Read My Mind

It was one of my biggest decisions of my life; Stay in this “two-star town” or stay with him and raise a family… fame was worth it. We were both sort of growing apart so it wasn’t that hard. He was a nice guy and all but if he, and the rest of the people who lived here, could even know what was going through my mind those last days… they would understand.

Ever since I was a little kid I had always dreamt of fame. It was one of the most important things in my life, but the stupid people in that town just couldn’t understand. Over half of them were just house wives that had to inspiration to do anything except cook, clean, and take care of children. I, on the other hand, had bigger plans for my life. I wanted to be an actress. Just seeing my name in lights would be the best experience ever. When I turned eighteen that time finally came.

The age of eighteen was the best. I had a great boyfriend that understood what I wanted to do, friends that loved me, and most of all. Talent. That talent took me farther than I thought possible. Even back then I loved to be the center of attention and be the star of the school play. Being one of the minor characters wasn’t enough for me. Some people called me a ‘glory hog’ but I never really cared what they thought since they would become just a distant memory.

It was my acting teachers suggestion for me to participate in a open casting call. I didn’t think I was ready for something like that because if you were there, you could tell that I stuck out. All the girls there were brunette and I, unfortunately, have platinum blonde hair. It was one of the most uncomfortable moments of my life. But, I went into the room were we had to act for the casting directors and I thought I did… okay… but nothing to be proud of. But, it was enough for them.

“We would like to thank all you for showing up to day and putting all your effort into this. Sadly though, we can only pick one girl,” said one of the directors.

You could feel the tension in the air as the other women and I wanted for one of them to speak up and tell us who would have the part. I doubted that it would be myself.

“That women is… Lucy Evens,”

I could hardly believe that they choose me. I mean I believe in myself a lot but, this was just something that I never think would happen. This was my chance to move out of the small, stupid town I lived in. I was on cloud nine when a thought went across my mind.

I would have to leave him…

I remember the day I met him. We were both five and I had tripped over a rock and scrapped my knee on the side-walk. I was crying and he came up to me and said,

“Are you okay,”

“No! I just fell down and my knee hurts,” I said.

“My mom is close to us. Want to go ask her to help you,” he asked as he held out his hand to help me from the ground.

“Sure,” I said uneasily as I took his hand and went to see his mother.

Ever since that day we had been best friends. Of course we fought a lot but, being angry at each other only meant better cuddling afterwards. When we finally turned teenagers he asked me out during one of our school dances. I said yes and ever since then we had been dating. Those days were the best I had ever lived. He was my anti-drug. The Bleeker to my Juno. Basically, you could call it love.

The beginning of the relationship was great but, towards the end… it went down hill. We sort of grew apart. He understood what I wanted to do and he didn’t mind it but, to this day I still think he didn’t like the fact that some days I would spend more time practicing my acting than be with him. But, when we did break up… it was sort of a mess.

During those months I became unhappy with the way the way things were working out. I really wanted it to be over. I still wanted to be friends and all but, it just broke my heart to see him putting forth more effort than me. When we did try to break up it didn’t go so well.

“We need to talk,” I said in a serious tone.

“I kind of figured that…,” He said sadly as we sat down one his bed.

“It’s not that I don’t like you, it’s just… sometimes we need to do what’s best for us and at this stage in my life I just don’t need a boyfriend…,”

“I understand,” he said.

Five weird minutes went by until he finally spoke.

“I still think I need you.”

We technically weren’t dating… just on and off. He felt like it was the wrong time but I just couldn’t wait for it to be over with. I tried my best to avoid him for some time but, when you’ve been best friends with a person for that long it’s really hard.

He finally broke it off though. It was sort of hard but, I felt better after it though. He didn’t deserve me. He deserved a girl that would settle down with him. Not a girl with dreams that were to big for the town she lived in. It was the right time to end it, he and I both knew it…

He was still a little on the edge about it though.

“Promise me even though you’re going to become a wonderful actress, to visit little old me back here,” he said with a smile on his face.

“I promise. You have to promise me something to. Promise me that even though we’ll be miles apart that we’ll still be friends.”

“I promise,” he said as we started to walk away from each other.

Even though those words were said, I still don’t think that he was ready to break apart. He called me one night. I knew it was him but, I didn’t have the guts to pick up the phone. I knew he wasn’t happy when I said it should be over but, he’s probably happy that he has that off his back and can go back to living a regular life again.

But, a couple days ago we were talking. He found another girl and they are expecting a baby girl. I told them to name it after me and he said that he would tell his girlfriend. He also told me he was proud that I hadn’t become a stuck up actress. I have done some movies, and I’m sort of popular but, I’ll never forget about him or the little town I hate to love.

I heard my phone go off and I lifted myself up to go pick it up. He texted me saying,

“Go look up ‘Read My Mind’. xo Ryan”

So, I did that and smiled all the way through the song.

She said I don't mind, if you don't mind
'Cause I don't shine if you don't shine

Put your back on me
Put your back on me
Put your back on me…
♠ ♠ ♠
1263 words.