Status: Finally Finished

Closer to Heaven With You

Chapter 21

Leigh watched Matt carefully, waiting for his reaction. She’d told him everything that she’d remembered in the flashback. He was quiet, too quiet. In all honesty she’d expecting him to start yelling, to explode, but instead he was sat quietly next to her, expressionless as he seemed to process all of what she had told him.

A long moment passed and he still didn’t say anything. Leigh bit her lip nervously, wondering whether his silence was a sign that he didn’t believe her. the silence had become so intense that Leigh jumped when Matt finally spoke.

“So, you think that it was her in the car that ran you off the road?” he asked slowly, his eyes finally meeting hers again. Leigh swallowed back the lump that had formed in her throat before answering.

“Yeah, I mean, it could be just a coincidence, but then I remembered the cut she had on her head in the hospital,” she began.

“I don’t think it’s a coincidence, and there’s the look on her face whenever you said you’d remembered something new.” He replied.

“So what do I do? Should I confront her? What about Brian? It’ll crush him to find out, that not only his girlfriend cheated on him, but that she almost killed his sister.” She said, tears welling up in her eyes and just the thought of telling Brian.

“I don’t know, if we confront her she’s just going to deny it, there’s no proof, it’s not even your word against hers, it’s just a memory, a flash back. She has to admit it herself.” he said, taking her hand in his.

“You believe me though right?” she asked nervously.

“Of course I do, you wouldn’t lie about something like this.” he replied, gently squeezing her hands. “We’ll figure out what to do, we’ll just try and avoid her as much as possible tonight.”

“OK, thanks Matt.” She said leaning forward to wrap her arms around his body, her head laying against his chest.

“Come on, let’s get back to the party.” He said, kissing the top of her head.
Leigh gripped Matt’s hand tightly as he led her back into the living room. Everyone was centered around the kitchen counter still, each with a drink in hand, laughing at something Johnny was saying.

“Are you still going to tell us that you were only in there to give him his present?” Jimmy called over when he spotted the two of them walking over to the group.

“Dude, I don’t want to know what my sister gives her boyfriend for his birthday!” Brian yelled before either Matt or Leigh could reply. With Leigh still gripping his hand, Matt walked over to the fridge and took out a beer each for them before pulling out one of the stools for Leigh to sit on. He stood behind her, wrapping his arm around her waist and gently caressing her hip with his large hand. She tried hard to concentrate on having a good time, avoiding looking at Michelle as much as possible.

“Ugh, I’ll be glad when I can get this cast off!” Leigh moaned as she sat with Matt as they watched some of the others dancing.

“One more week baby,” Matt assured her with a soft kiss on the top of her head.

“I know, I would like to dance with you on your birthday though.” She replied, tilting her head to look up at him.

“That can be arranged.” He said with a smirk as he slide around so that he was stood in front of her. He slide her off the stool so that she was stood in front of him and then slid her arms up so that they were around his neck. His hands rested on her hips as he gently began to sway them both back and forth, paying no mind to the tempo of the music being played. Leigh smiled broadly as she looked up into Matt’s hazel eyes.

“That’s better.” He whispered, smiling himself. Leigh shook her head in confusion. “That’s the first genuine smile I’ve seen on your face all evening.”

Leigh went to reply but ended up laughing instead.

“What?” Matt questioned.

“Were we always this mushy as a couple?” she asked. Matt chuckled loudly, throwing his head back.

“Yeah, we might just have been.” He replied, bringing one of his hands up to brush a stray curl of hair away from her face. Slowly he lowered his head and pressed his lips to hers. She sighed against his lips, his tongue brushing against her lower lip. Her hands automatically reached for the back of head as his tongue toyed with hers. They both let out a soft moan as their lips parted.

“Matt.” Leigh breathed, looking up into his hazel eyes again.

“That’s me.”

“I love you.” she whispered with a smile, watching as his face lit up. Immediately his lips were back on hers, her hands at the back of his head, pulling him closer to her as he gently pulled her closer to him.

“I love you too.” he replied as he pulled away from the kiss. They gazed into each other’s eyes for a long moment before Matt leaned down again to briefly peck her lips.

“Can’t you put her down for just two minutes?” Brian’s voice interrupted them. They pulled away from each other and smiled at him as he sat on the stool next to Leigh.

“We can’t help it if we’re in love with each other.” Leigh retorted poking her tongue out at her brother.

“You’ve realised that now have you?” he asked with a smirk.

“I’ve remembering more and more.” She replied with a smile, that faded quickly as Michelle joined them.

“Really? What have you remembered?” Brian asked eagerly. Leigh glanced up at Matt hesitantly.

“Well, I remembered something about the accident.” She began, not wanting to give all the details and watching Michelle’s reaction.

“And?” Brian asked pressingly as Leigh noted how Michelle’s cheeks flushed.

“I think I was run off the road. I-“

“You were what?!” Brian yelled gaining the attention of the others in the room.

“Hey, what’s going on?” Jimmy asked, grabbing the stereo remote and turning the music down.

“Leigh has remembered more about the accident, she thinks she was run off the road!”

There was a unified yell of “WHAT?” from everyone who were now all gathered around them.

Leigh took a deep breath as she looked around at her friends who were all watching her expectantly. Matt gave her hand a reassuring squeeze, encouraging her to explain.

“OK, earlier, I had a kind of flash back, where I was in the car trying to get hold of you guys and then, out of nowhere this car comes up behind me and rams into the back of me. I swerved a little and then I was hit again and then I ended up crashing.” She explained, watching as horror crept onto everyones faces.

“You mean someone did this to you on purpose?” Zack said his eyes wide with disbelief.

“I think so yeah.” She replied quietly.

“I’m going to fucking kill them!” Jimmy yelled, his hands balling into fists.

“Did you know about this?” Brian asked glaring at Matt.

“Yeah, she told me earlier, after she’d given me my presents.” Matt replied calmly.

“And you didn’t think it was worth mentioning?” Brian yelled.

“Bri, I didn’t want tonight ruined, and anyway, I still have no idea who did it.” Leigh lied quickly, glancing briefly at Michelle.

“I’m going to fucking kill them.” Jimmy repeated as if in a chant.

“You won’t have to Jim, that job is mine when I find which ever son of a bitch did this.” Brian growled.

“So did you remember anything else?” Neither Leigh nor Matt missed the fear in Michelle’s voice as she spoke.

“No, not really, that was it.” Leigh lied coldly.

“This fucking sucks!” Leana yelled from beside Jimmy who’d started to relax again.

“Imagine what it feels like for me!” Leigh replied with a weak smile.

“Sorry Hun, I know, I didn’t mean it like that.” Leana appologised.

“That’s OK. Can we forget about this for tonight please. We’re supposed to be celebrating Matt’s birthday.” Leigh replied with a pleading smile.

“Yeah, she’s right. it’s not like we can do anything about it.” Val said with a smile.

Leigh smiled as the other’s agreed and Jimmy turned up the volume on the stereo again. As she watched Michelle walk across the living room towards the bathroom she made a decision. She slipped off the stool and hobbled across the living room after her.

As she heard the lock of the bathroom door open she stood in front of the door, causing Michelle to jump when she opened the door.

“Oh sorry Leigh. You made me jump.” She said with a smile as she placed her hand over her heart for affect.

“Sorry, but I wanted to talk to you about something.” Leigh replied calmly.

“O-oh, a-ab-about wh-what?” Michelle stuttered. Leigh took a step forward, causing Michelle to take a step backwards into the bathroom. Leigh inched Michelle backwards until she was able to close and lock the door behind her.

“I know it was you Michelle.” She said bluntly, staring coldly at her.

“W-what was me?” she replied nervously.

“I didn’t tell you all the full truth just now. I remembered a lot more from that night.” She began, watching the colour drain from Michelle’s face. “I know that I caught you cheating on Brian, and I’m sure that you followed me and ran me off the road in the hope that I wouldn’t be able to tell him.”

Michelle went to open her mouth to reply but Leigh quickly cut her off.

“I’m giving you until tomorrow evening to tell Brian the truth, or I will.” She warned, glaring into her Michelle’s eyes. “Do you understand?”

Michelle nodded once, panic and fear in her eyes. “Good.” Leigh said bluntly, before turning and walking back out of the bathroom and back to Matt’s arms.
♠ ♠ ♠
Firstly I would like Synfully_Insane for the awesome banner she made me :)

Secondly, as always, I want to thank all my readers, subscribers and all of you who leave comments :D

Thirdly, I forgot to put this link in the last chapter so here's Leigh's outfit