Callicas Boarding School For Otherworld Youth

Chapter 25- the Hedge Maze

“Jeez! That took forever!” I whined when we got done with our shopping trip and were back in my room.

“Oh you know you enjoyed every minute of it,” my mom said with a half smile. “Well, I should head back home. I’ve already missed a lot of days at work, and they really need me at the hospital right now.”

“Okay, I love you mom,” I told her and gave her one final bear hug.

“I love you too Elle,” she said and then left.

Finally I was alone! Boy it felt good to not be surrounded by others for the first time in at least 15 hours, not including the days before and during my change. After putting away all my new clothes and getting rid of my old ones, I changed into a plain dark blue tank top, pulled on some dark blue denim Capri pants, and pulled on my new dark blue low-top converse and decided to walk through the garden. Though deciding that I really didn’t feel like being noticed, I grabbed a hat and twisted up my hair and hid it in the cap.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On my way to the garden, I spotted a boy in all black with a suspicious look about him that just screamed ‘BAD BOY’. I was too far away to see his face, even with my new and improved night vision. Though it looked like he was heading to the hedge maze, so I did the stupid thing to do at the time. I followed him.

He went into the hedge maze and I quietly ran to catch up, holding my hat on my head so it wouldn’t fall off. Once I got in the maze, I listened really intently for sounds and heard crunching leaves and grass towards my right so I went to the right. By listening to his foot steps, I followed him deeper and deeper into the maze (which wasn’t really that big, but still big enough that you can get lost for a few hours).

All of the sudden I didn’t hear his footsteps anymore. Very quietly, I made my way down the path that he’d taken, and came to a dead end. What the hell? Where did he go? Turning around in circles, I looked all around me and strange guy was nowhere in sight. Sighing, I turned and headed back the way I had come.

Suddenly a hand shot out of nowhere and grabbed my arm forcefully and turned me around, causing my hat to fall off and my hair to flow out down my shoulders. Slamming into the guys chest, he grabbed my other arm, “Why are you following me?” he asked in a deep, sexy voice. Then the spicy-woodsy scent hit my nose and my skin felt tingly where he touched it.

“Ronan?” I asked, then I started to make out his face in the total darkness of the maze.

“Do I know you?” he asked, letting go of my arms and stepping back a few steps.

“Um, not really,” I said, my voice a quiet whisper. “Sorry I followed you, I’m going to go now.”

Turning away, I picked up my hat and started walking really fast to get away.

“Wait!” he yelled, then suddenly he was right in front of me blocking my path.

“Your eyes…they look so familiar,” he said and pushed my hair out of my face to get a better look at my new shimmering eyes. “Elizabeth?”

Laughing, I told him yeah.

“Holy cow! You look so…so…amazing!” he said and grabbed my hand and made do a little turn for him. “I told you that you would survive,” he said with a smug look on his face.

“Yeah, yeah, “ I said and rolled my eyes. “So why are you all dressed in black and walking through this maze?” I asked.

“Well, it’s kind of a secret. I can’t tell you what it is,” he told me.

“Oh,” I said, trying to hide my disappointment.

“But I can show you,” he said with a wicked grin.

“Maybe I should just go,” I said, feeling a little unease about his little ‘secret’.

“Hey, it’s nothing bad. Just a place I always go when I have trouble focusing in school. Come on,” he said and grabbed my hand, and I let him pull me along.