Callicas Boarding School For Otherworld Youth

Chapter 32

I ran into my orchestra class right as the tardy bell rang and hastily got out my violin and took my seat in first chair in the first violin section. Then I noticed the stares and awkward silence from the whole class.

“Uh, hi?” I said to the awestruck classroom, and then they broke out into little groups of whisperers, like how its been in every class all day. Letting out the burst of air that I had been holding, I glanced at Tristian who was holding his cello and was gesturing for my attention.

Where have you been? He mouthed, and then the teacher called for the classes attention, looked at me for a minute in silence, then went back to teaching.

I’ll tell you later, I mouthed to him and he nodded his head in agreement.

Once orchestra class was over and our instruments were put up, Tristian met me at the door and we walked in silence across the dark courtyard.

“So? What was with the late rush to class?” he asked.

“Oh that, well I was skipping 3rd because I was sick of all the staring and whispering, so I went to the garden. And guess who found me there?!” I gushed.

“Hmm…the boogie man?” he said and started laughing.

“No you twit,” I said and knocked him upside the head. “Ronan!”

“Oh,” he answered in a quiet voice.

“He asked me to the ball! Isn’t that amazing?” I told him, then started going on about what I was thinking about wearing, what Ronan might wear, if he’d get me a corsage or not; that sort thing. Tristian just made little sounds of agreement and stared at his feet the whole time until we got to my dorm.

“Well, this is me. Guess I’ll see you tomorrow,” I said, and started up the steps until it hit me. “Wait Tristian! Who are you going to ask to the ball?”

He stopped walking and turned toward me. “No one, I won’t be going.”

“What? Why not?” I asked.

“Don’t you remember?” he asked in a saddened voice.

“Remember what?”

“I’ll be in my change, Ellez,” he said and walked off.

I wanted to go after him and say I was sorry, but as I took a step after him, someone grabbed me by my waist and lifted me up, turned 180 degrees, and put me back down.

“What the-?” I said and turned to see Ronan smiling down at me. “Oh, it’s you,” I said in surprise.

“Were you expecting someone else?” he asked and raised an eyebrow.

“Well, no. I wasn’t really expecting anyone really,” I told him and smiled a little. “What are you doing here, it’s late.”

“Not that late, little Elizabeth,” he murmured and pushed a stray strand of hair out of my face. “Besides, you ran off right after you said yes earlier.”

“Oh, yeah. Well I didn’t want to be late for class.” I said, blushing a little at my lame excuse.

“Nice,” he said with a laugh. “But I wanted to do something before you went to bed for the night.”

“Really? And what might that be?” I told him and gave him what I hoped looked like a coy smile.

“This,” he said then pulled me to him and gave me a breath taking kiss on my lips that felt like it lasted forever. “Well, you should probably go to bed now,” he said as he let me go.

“Mmhmm…” I muttered and let him push me towards the doors to the dorm.

“Sweet dreams, Elizabeth.”

“Goodnight, Ronan,” I said, then went up to my room and slept blissfully though the day.