Hotel Bella Muerte

Head of the House

Myra's head is pounding as if someone transplanted her heart into her skull. She opens her eyes ever so slightly and leans her head over the edge of the sofa and throws up.
"Awe fuck." she moans. She sits up and rubs her eyes before having a look around. The room is dark, and underneath the monstrous drawings and Misfit poster, she comes to realize she's in a basement, and based upon the wood paneling one that was modeled in the eighties. Her heart rate quickens a bit as she realizes she can't remember where she is or how she got here. She glances around the room quickly and nervously, hoping beyond all hope that this was a friend's house that she hadn't been before.

She looks over at the bed to see a dark haired passed out figure, she walks up to it and kicks his arm.
"Wake up!" she demands, "Wake up!" There's a sudden noise from outside the door and then it flies open to reveal a middle aged woman, "Who the fuck are you?! And what am I doing here?!"
"Please calm down," the woman says holding her arms out in front of her, "My name is Lea, I'm not going to hurt you and neither is he." she refers to the guy on the bed just as another young man runs up behind her.
"We found you at he community center, you were out cold and alone." the guy on the stairs says loud enough for her to hear over the blood rushing around her head.
"What the hell?" the once passed out figure on the bed demands in a groggy voice.

"How about we all go upstairs and sit down before we explain everything." Lea says backing into the doorway. Gerard looks confused as he glances between the girl in his bedroom and his brother.
"Yeah." he says as he eases himself out of bed. They follow single file up the stairs into the kitchen where Mikey sits down at the head of the table, Gerard sits to his right and Myra stands awkwardly for a moment before sitting to his left.
"Does anyone want anything to drink?" Lea asks.
"Water." Gerard croaks.
"Can I have some too." Myra asks immediately after. Gerard looks over the girl with scars on her face and arms for a second, her eyes look as if they're too big for her body, then the table behind her steals his attention. The small table once held several bottles of hard liquor for when his parents had company over, but now it was barren, with only dust circles giving away where the bottles had once stood. He rubs his forehead as Lea places a glass before him and one in front of the girl.

Myra reaches into her pocket and to her delight the pill bottle is still there. She removes the lid and pops one of the pills into her mouth before downing it with water. She places the bottle down next to her glass and inhales deeply
"Are you guys friends with Terry?" she asks hopefully, Mikey shakes his head, "What about Chris? Andrew? Steph?"
"I'm sorry, but no." Mikey says calmly. Gerard stares intently at the bottle of pills, like a lion waiting to pounce it's prey, "My name is Mikey."
"Uhh Myra." she says uneasily, then looks at the guy in front of her, "And you?"
"Gerard." he says not peeling his eyes away from the pill bottle.

"Right, so Mikey, why don't you tell Myra here what happened." Lea says as she takes her seat at the final chair at the wooden kitchen table. Mikey clears his throat and fidgets with his glasses uneasily.
"Okay, so my dad and I came to find Gerard at the center and he didn't tell us where so we went looking for him. Then I found you lying by the pool unconscious and with your panties around your ankles."
"Do you remember what happened?" Lea asks softly.
"I was, I was-" she stutters as tries her hardest to remember, the last thing she can remember is the sound of sirens, she thinks to earlier in the night, "I was with my boyfriend, sort of."
"Sort of?"
"Well its complicated." Myra says, "I wasn't raped if that's what you're thinking."
"Okay." Lea says nodding. Myra nervously opens the pill bottle again and pops another pill into her mouth. She looks at the remains and is depressed to see there's only three left.

"I should get going." she says standing up but her legs are proven to weak and she falls back into her seat, "thank you for everything." she says getting up again, "Does bus 38 pass around here?"
"Bus 38?" Mikey questions, "There is no bus 38."
"Wait, are we outside of Boston?" she asks rubbing her forehead.
"I'd say so." Gerard chortles, never letting the pill bottle leave his sights.
"We're in Newark." Lea informs, "Boston is like a four hour drive away."
"Newark? What the hell?" she says to herself in disbelief.
"New Jersey." Lea informs.
"Holy shit."
"You don't remember getting here to Jersey?" the older woman asks.
"Um no." Myra says rubbing her head, "The guy I was with, um, Jeff and some of his friends asked me if I wanted to go to a party, they gave me a hit," she glances at the pills, "Then I fell asleep, next thing I know, we're pulled up at this community center where someone busted the door open."
"Wow." Mikey says trying not to laugh.

"Right, like I said, I should get going." Myra says grabbing her pill bottle off the table, breaking Gerard's concentration.
"Where are you going to go?"
"Home." she answers.
"How?"
"Bus."
"No, no, no." Lea says shaking her head, "In your condition, its a four hour drive by car and by the looks of it, you don't have any cash on you."
"Well then, do you have a better idea?"
"How about you call up the people you were with first." Lea says motioning to the phone against the wall.

Myra reaches into her pocket for her cell phone.
"Oh shit."
"What?"
"I left my bag in Jeff's car." she says slightly upset, "My cell phone was in there with all my numbers."
"Call home, or your parents, a family member." Lea suggests.
"I live alone and I can't call my parents."
"Its okay, you're their daughter, they'll just be glad you're okay."
"No, not that I'm afraid to call them, I literally can't."
"Oh." Lea says as Mikey lets out an avoidable yawn, "Do you remember anyone's number."
"No, it was all on my cell phone." she sighs.

"Well then." Lea says standing up, "You'll stay here then. We'll figure out what we're going to do tomorrow when you're better." Myra stares slightly shocked at the woman standing in front of her, and she knew by the tone of her voice this was a demand not an offer.

Gerard and Mikey both look at their mother in slight disbelief.
"I do however want to enforce that this house is now clean of abusive substances so I'm going to ask you to hand over your pills."
"But I need them." Myra says clutching her pocket defensively.
"I'll be the judge of that." Lea says holding her hand forward, Myra hands over the prescription bottle, "Well unless your name is Gregory Thomas Bourne, no you don't." she goes over to the sink and dumps the remaining pills down the drain.

"As for you Gerard, your father, brother and I have decided that you need an intervention." she says firmly, "You're going to start living clean or so help me I'll chain you to a chair and force you to." Gerard's eyes bulge at his mother's sudden forceful tone, "You can detox and get better here, and if that doesn't work, we'll send you to a rehabilitation center. I don't care if you hate me for this, but you need to get better." The loud voice makes Myra's head pound even harder making her dizzy and disoriented until she falls backward onto the floor.