The Night You Took Away a Little More Than Just My Breath

And it's the best thing to ever enter my life.

Image

"When's practice again?" Kennedy asked as lettuce from his sub fell out of his mouth.

"Tuesday!" Garrett yelled at him. It was the third time Kennedy had asked.

"And what's today? Kennedy asked once more.

"Are you on drugs or something?" Jared asked him.

"No." Kennedy put his sub down. "It's just when I eat I don't pay attention to anything but what I'm eating. I'm fat, you know."

"Well, today is Saturday." I said as I finished my sub. "Practice is Thursday and the show at the coconut club is in a week. Next weekend."

We were sitting in the food court by subway waiting for Kennedy to finish his food. We had already walked around half of the mall and stopped to eat. There was nothing else to do tonight but this.

"Okay, I'm done." Kennedy said as he wrapped up his left over sub in the paper.

We all got up and started to walk past all the stores and people shopping. I peered into the stores we passed just to see what was going on. As we passed a very expensive store for dresses I saw Jordan standing by the door holding a slim, short black dress up to her body. In front of her stood a good looking, tall, buff guy smiling down at her. Busy this weekend, my ass. I thought to myself as I saw the guy lean down to stick his tongue in her mouth.

"Whoa, isn't that-" Garrett started as he pointed towards Jordan slightly. I walked in the store before he could even finish his sentence. They must have seen it too.

"Hey, I thought you said you were busy this weekend." I said as I walked up to the two. Jordan's eyes widened and her mouth dropped. "What's wrong?" I asked as if I didn't see anything.

"Oh, nothing." She said. "My cousin here asked me to pick out a dress for his girlfriend." She put a hand on 'her cousins' chest.

"Oh." I gave out a sarcastic laugh and put my elbow on a rack. I rested my head in my hand and continued. "Then why were you just making out with him?"

"John." Jordan sighed nervously. "It's- I'm- I just-"

"It's okay." I said as I started to walk away, thinking about how perfect this situation was for me. "I understand."

I was half way out the door as I heard Jordan shout "I'm sorry!" to me. All I did was laugh and continue walking with the guys.

"Dude, you okay?" Jared asked me.

"Yeah!" I smiled at him. "Why wouldn't I be?"

"You just caught your girlfriend cheating on you..." Kennedy said.

"I had no desire for her anyways." I said, happily. Then it hit me. "I'm single!" I exclaimed as I took Pat and shook him.

Pat laughed at me and messed up my hair. "That was easy!" He said.

The rest of the guys had the most confused looks on their faces, hence I never told them about my situation. Pat was the only one I could really trust with these kinds of things. He was shy around girls and never tells anyone about personal situations. If I told any of the other guys they would have told Jordan already. And if I told any of the other guys I had herpes (which I don't have, just an example), our whole school would know. So I don't really tell them things right away.

The night soon came to an end and I drove everyone home. I drove down the streets as fast as I could with all the windows down. We were all singing along to a random CD as loud as we could. The speakers were about to get blown but I didn't care. I was the happiest I've been in a long time.

- - - -

You're twin sized bed by Death Cab for Cutie filled my room as my alarm clock hit noon. I sat up in my bed and scratched my head. I pulled my dark blue covers back and headed to the bathroom to get in the shower.

Sundays were always boring. Today I had to work from one to eight and it was my turn to make dinner for my dad and I. We switch off days but most of the time he's out with Casey and I'm stuck on the couch eating another PB&J.

I turned on the hot water as I hummed Gold by Ivory and got a wash cloth. I added some cold water to the hot and made the temperature perfect. I hopped in the shower and let the warm, refreshing water soak my tall, slim body. I drenched my hair and then put shampoo in my hand and lathered it around. I ran my hands through my thin hair and then rinsed it out. I did the same with some conditioner and then washed my body.

I stood there facing the shower head as soap and water trickled off my body. I closed my eyes and let water fall down my face. I moved my head from side to side to stretch out my neck and also let the water beat down on it. It felt so good I could just stand there and fall right back asleep.

I finally decided to get out before I started to run late for work. I stopped the water and pulled the towel down so I could dry myself. I wrapped the towel around my waist and pulled the curtains back so I could step out. I walked across the hall to my room and put on my work clothes.

My work clothes consisted of white pants, but of course I substituted them with white skinny jeans, a plain white collared shirt, a black small bow tie that went around the collar, and a white weird looking hat that I have no idea how to describe.

Yeah, I work at the restaurant Johnny Rockets. It's fun. I'm a waiter and everyone that works with me is super fun. We turn up the music really loud and dance like there's no tomorrow when the restaurant is dead at night, or even if there are only a few people in there. And those people seem to enjoy watching and laughing at us.

I slipped on my plain white vans and headed down the stairs with my car keys. I passed the couch to see my dad and Casey laying down together watching the news. "Good morning dad, Casey."

"Good morning, Johno." Casey replied with a smile.

"Going to work?" My dad asked.

"Yeah." I said as I walked into the kitchen to get a pop tart. I walked back into the living room. "I'll be home at 8:30. Nine at the latest."

"Okay." My dad nodded. "Don't be too late and have a good day."

"I won't, and you too." I replied and walked out the door with my hat in hand. The chilly early March morning air hit my skin as I walked to my car, which caused me to get goose bumps. I unlocked my door and got in, turning the heat on as soon as I started the car.

I popped in an Ivory mixed CD and sang along to the song Sassy. I decided to put the song on repeat for the whole twenty minute drive to work. It's been my favorite song since I could even remember. It's my favorite song to sing, hum, and tap my fingers to on my steering wheel.

As I pulled up to the restaurant, I pulled into an employee's parking spot. I turned off my car and locked my doors before I got out to walk in to work. "Johnny Rocket!" My friend Taylor greeted me at the door. Old music for the 80's filled my ears and the smell of fresh cooked food met my nose.

"I have to find a nick name for you." I laughed then hugged her. "How've you been girl? We haven't worked together in forever!"

Taylor was the first person to help me out at this job. She was the person to show me what to do, helped me meet everyone that worked there, and we became good friends fast. She's loud and crazy. She's not afraid to be herself and I look up to her for that. She's outgoing and loves everyone no matter what. She's perfect for this friendly job. You have to walk in the door with all smiles and be as nice as you can to the costumers.

"I know! I missed you Johnny Rocket." She laughed.

She gave me the nickname on my first day too. "What's your name?" She asked me.

"John. but you can call me Johno." I replied.

"What about Johnny?" She laughed. "Johnny Rocket! Since you work here now and all..." She said.
And I agreed. It was funny, and still is. She's the only one that can call me that too.

"So, how was your weekend?" She asked as she clocked me in.

"Well, Friday I was sitting on the couch thinking of ways to break up with my girlfriend." I said as I put on my hat. I walked behind the counter and got an apron. "then Saturday I caught her making out with 'her cousin'" I said as I stopped tying my apron to make quotes with my fingers when I said 'her cousin'.

"What a bitch." Taylor said as she was filling cups with soda.

"Yeah. But I don't care." I shrugged. "I was trying to find ways to break up with her anyways."

"You're not good when it comes to that part?" Taylor asked.

"Nope." I said as I got out my little note pad and pen. "Not at all. I feel so horrible afterward."

"Oh, I know." She said as she walked away to serve her table. She came back and said, "And then sometimes you have feelings of regret?"

"Yeah!" I agreed as I spotted a table that needed to be served. I walked up to the table of two. "Hello, I'm Johno. I'll be your server for today. What may I get for you to drink?" The middle aged couple smiled at me and looked at their menus.

"Can I have a coke?" The man asked. I nodded and figured I didn't have to write it down.

"And for you ma'am?" I asked.

"Um, a lemonade, please?" She said.

"And do you two need some more time to figure out what you want or are you good?"

"More time, thanks." The man replied.

"Okay, your drinks will be right up." I told them as I walked back behind the counter. "I don't have any feelings of regret this time though." I told Taylor as I got out two cups.

Taylor and I can carry on a whole conversation and work at the same time. We just continue the conversation when we see each other again. It's pretty fun and it also makes the day go by fast. It sucks when she's not working the same shift because I'm always so bored and the day seems like its forever.

"Well, why would you?" Taylor asked. "You caught her cheating. What did you say to her when you caught her?"

"I walked up to her like I didn't see anything." I said as I finished filling up the woman's lemonade. I glanced over to them and they were still deciding so I stayed and talked to Taylor. "I was like, 'Oh, I thought you were busy this weekend!' then her eyes got all huge so I asked what was wrong. Then she went on to tell me about how her cousin wanted her to pick out a dress for his girlfriend. So I shoot back with a sarcastic laugh and say, 'Oh, then why were you just sucking his face?'" I laughed and then continued. "Then she started to stutter 'John- I'm- It's- Just-' So I just walk away from her as she's screaming 'I'm sorry!' from behind me."

"Wow. and how long have you been with this girl?"

"Like seven months or something like that." I said. "She seemed like one of those girls to cry her eyes out if you broke up with her. You met her once, remember?"

"Yeah, she did seem like that." Taylor agreed. "She seemed clingy."

I nodded in a agreement. "I'm just glad it happened so fast and so easy." I looked over at the couple and it looked like they were ready to order so I brought them their drinks and asked them if they needed any more time. They ordered the food and I went back to tell whoever was cooking the order. The only person I'm really friends with at work is Taylor. I don't really converse with anyone else but they all seem like cool energetic people.

Work was over faster than I thought and I headed on home after hugging Taylor one last time. Sassy by Ivory was still on repeat and I still sang the same old words. As I pulled into the drive way in front of my house I noticed Casey's car was still here. She's usually gone by 8, and right now it was 8:50.

I walked into my house and took off my hat and bow tie. My dad and Casey were sitting at the table with three plates of food sitting in front of them. "It's about time you got here." My dad said. "Sit down, we have important things to go over with you."

I smiled at Casey and sat down at the end of the table. "What's up?" I asked. A plate of noodles, broccoli, and chicken sat in front of me with a tall glass of cold water. I took a bite and waited for my father to continue.

"Well, Casey and I have been thinking a lot lately." My dad said as he grabbed her hand across the table.

"We've been thinking about getting married and having me move in with you two." She smiled at me.

"Yes, and we would like to know how you would feel about the situation." My dad said.

"It's fine with me." I said. "I mean, Casey you're a nice lady and all. And my dad is crazy for you. I'd have no way to stop this anyways, so I don't mind."

"Good." My dad said. "We'll be married by the end of this month since we've already been planning ahead, and Casey will be moving in in less than a week along with her daughter, Jamie."

"A daughter?" I asked. My dad has never said anything about Casey having a daughter. He didn't even tell me about the marriage until now but I didn't mind that. I have nothing against Casey. But a daughter? A step-sister? I've known nothing about this until now. I have no idea how old she is, what she's like, if shes annoying, bitchy. I have no idea and she's moving in in less than a week.

This is going to be awkward.
♠ ♠ ♠
23 subscribers but only 3 comments from two different people?
I'd like it if all of you subscribers would comment and tell me what you think. (:

It's getting better, isn't it?