Alas, I Cannot Swim.

And tongue and cheek, I'm naive

Can't you please, Stay with me.

Thomas and Corey’s flat had been declared the official site of their Halo tournament. Their living room was a mess of scattered food, beer, soft drink cans and bodies. Matt Kean, Lee and Mattie were occupying one couch, Oliver, Curtis and Corey where on the other leaving Thomas banished to the floor, each shouting out at the screen as half of the boys played.

A shrill ringing coming from Curtis’s trousers was the cause of the game being paused, leaving the rest of the boys to talk quietly as he answered it. Thomas was the only one to watch Curtis as he spoke into the receiver, a one hundred watt smile plastered across his face.

Conversation died as Curtis put his phone back into his trousers as he stood up and stretched out his tired body explaining to the group that he had better places to be causing the rest of the group except Thomas and Corey to give knowing smiles back.

“Hot date?” Corey questioned as he picked up his beer from the coffee table. Thomas stared at Curtis, waiting patiently for the answer that everyone else in the room seemed to know. He’d be lying if he said he wasn’t even a little pissed about being left out of the equation.

“Ava needs me to pick her up instead of just meeting her there” he smiled at the rest of the group. Thomas’s heart feel as he looked to his brother for confirmation on what he thought was going on. One look at Oliver’s sympathetic smile was all he needed to know that his suspicions where true; Curtis and Ava where going on a date.

After Curtis left the flat, Thomas mumbled something incoherent to the group, slowly dragging himself into the kitchen as he wasn’t really in the mood to play Halo anymore. It didn’t take long for Oliver to follow him in, sitting across the island and resting his arms on the surface.

“Ye can’t really be mad Tom, ye’ never told anyone ye like ‘er” Thomas sighed knowing his brother was right. No one knew he like the small blonde woman that had stumbled her way into the group so he couldn’t really be mad at Curtis for taking her out. On the surface anyway.

“Come back in and play” Oliver smiled to him, patting his shoulder as the both rose form their seats and sauntered back into the living room resuming the game.

The entire time Thomas spent playing the game his mind kept on drifting to what Ava and Curtis could be doing, most of it vulgar which only made him resent the idea of them together more. It was than a little unfair that Curtis was taking out the woman of his dreams while he was left in his flat playing a computer game with his friends.

*****

“Ye ‘lright there Tommy?” Ava asked as Thomas fiddled around with his camera. He gave her a reassuring smile that didn’t fool either of them.

The pair where in Thomas’s parents back garden taking photos for Ava’s modeling portfolio. Thomas had decided that the best light was outside as it was summertime, it was also a plus that his parents where to busy in the house to come out and bug them.

Thomas continued to take photos of Ava as she moved around; doing anything that came to her head. She always took a beautiful picture although her smile was not as genuine as he would have liked them. Finally growing the courage, he would tell her funny stories about his childhood growing up with Oliver; he even threw in the odd compliment here and there. Still there was a nagging feeling in the back of his mind about her and Curtis’s date, although she hadn’t brought it up and he certainly wasn’t going to.

Oliver and Matt wandered outside resulting in them being made to be in the photos not that had needed much persuasion. The group taking a well deserved break when Mrs. Sykes provided them with lunch. Thomas sat on one side of the picnic bench with Ava, while the other two sat across from them. Conversation was something Thomas never participated in as the group ate the mixture of sandwiches that were strewn around on the plate. He never felt as uncomfortable around Ava anymore its just there was no way of getting a word in edge wise around Matt.

*****

“I look pure horrible” Ava cried, laughing softly at the photo on the screen of Thomas’s camera. Thomas looked at her as if she was crazy, shaking his head unbelievingly. Ava could never cease to amaze him.

“Which ones d’ye like?” Thomas asked softly handing his camera over to her and leaning back into his couch. After the Thomas was happy that he got enough shots that afternoon, they had returned back to his flat in order to decide which ones Ava was going to use.

Thomas watched as Ava concentrated on the camera, smiling when she came across something she like causing her nose to wrinkle slightly. His heart would flutter every time she done it, the butterflies in his stomach going out of control.

“How ‘bout you pick some. I’m sure I’ll love it” Ava smiled handing back his camera and ruffling his hair. Thomas watched in curiosity as she stood from the couch, stretching her body and picking up her bag from the floor. “I need to go love, I’ll see ye soon”

Thomas sighed, placing his camera on the table, mumbling a ‘bye’ when Ava left the flat. He groaned and rubbed his face with his hands, leaning back into the couch. Thomas knew he was doing something wrong as Ava should have stayed with him and not left him to stare at pictures of her all night.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took ages to get out
comments?
x