Alas, I Cannot Swim.

This ship has sailed one too many times

To reach a land of dreams.

“Cant you design anythin’ that’s not doom and gloom?” Oliver screwed up his face at his younger brother’s idiotic question before looking at the piece of paper in front of him. A scribbled mess of what was supposed to be a t-shirt with a cartoon grim reaper on it. Oliver’s talents clearly didn’t lie in the art department.

“Are you fucking nuts?” was Oliver’s well thought out respond. Of course he could design something that wasn’t ‘doom and gloom’. He could have a million t-shirts with different coloured ice-cream cones or unicorns and rainbows and glittery sleeves. But that wasn’t the theme of Drop Dead’s winter collection.

Thomas watched his brother as he went back to his scribbling laughing and shaking his head. Thomas was just thankful they had friends that were artist. Otherwise Drop Dead wouldn’t have become anywhere near as successful as it was. And he would have been out of a job.

“Mornin’ guys” Georgia’s sweet voice was a nice change from Oliver’s deep one. Her Scottish accent was a nice change from the thick English ones his family and friends possessed.

Thomas watched as she walked into the room a pair of Oliver’s boxers and a white vest top the only thing to cover her small frame. Rolling his eyes when she sat on Oliver’s knees, Thomas sighed. He was sure he’d never meet two people more perfect for each other than Oliver and Georgia were.

“You okay Tommy?” Georgia’s concerned face came into Thomas’s eye line. He nodded his head staring at the couple. The only thing they had in common look wise was the fact that they were both fairly covered in tattoos. Thomas wasn’t into tattoos on women to much although he could appreciate the beauty of Georgia. His brother always had the best taste in women.

“He’s just pissed cause he doesn’t have a girlfriend” Oliver laughed earning a smack on the back of the head. Thomas ignored their bickering, his eyes travelling around their kitchen. It was obvious that Georgia had decorated the flat. If Oliver had done it himself Thomas was sure it could have been used as brothel. And not a very classy one.

“Ava likes you pet” Georgia smiled at the younger Sykes. She reached over the table pinching at his cheeks, just like his mother would do, and ruffled up his hair. “You just need to be patient” And with that the petit bond left the brother to it.

Thomas looked to his brother. Oliver was staring out the door that Georgia had just exited the room from, chewing his biro as he longed for her to return. Thomas could picture them in bad eighteenth century costumes declaring their love for each other before they committed a dramatic suicide.

“Yeh just need to get yerself a hobby” Thomas’s day dream was interrupted by Oliver’s harsh voice. He starred at Oliver not quite sure if he had meant what he said before leaving the table the stain of black ink in the corner of Oliver’s mouth being a little to much for Thomas to handle.

*****

Oliver had gone the entire day without realising he had an ink stain on his mouth. Not one of his friends had mentioned the fact to him although a couple had struggled to keep a straight face in front of him. Carol Sykes was the one that told him ruining Georgia and Thomas amusement when they turned up at the family home for dinner.

“I always knew yeh weren’t with him for his brain” Ian, the father of the tight knick family, smiled over at Georgia before he took a drink from his beer.

Thomas always looked forward to these nights. Family nights where his mother would cook a big meal and everyone would sit around the kitchen table together and talk. Not just about trivial things. About everything. They would laugh whole heartedly at each others stories. The three younger adults would listen intently to the parents as they reminisced about their earlier years. If someone was watching them they would be lead to believe it was some cheesy advert for whatever the meal was. Thomas was sure of that.

“Some friend’s yous are” Oliver pouted. He had always been the easiest person to play practical jokes on. His oblivious nature lead him to be an easy target.

Thomas watched the two couples interact. The only thing that bothered him about family night was that he had no one to share it with. When his brother would tell his parents about something that had happened on tour or on a night out Thomas would daydream. Picture himself sitting with a girl beside him. Secretly holding hands under the table. Sharing secret joke that only they would know. Each night the events of the night in his head changed slightly but the face on the girl never did.

As if on cue Oliver launched into a story about tour, waving his long arms about when he got excited. Thomas loved his brother but he knew deep down that his brain would never age any higher than a five year old.

Thomas’ gaze on Oliver was broken when his phone vibrated in his pocket, his face contorted as he tried to hide his smile when he saw Ava’s name. The last thing he needed was his mother to find out about his little crush on her. He’d never hear the end of it.

Come meet me.

Three simple words had never made him move faster.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry its taken ages
comments yeah?
x