Status: completo

It's A Game, But Who's Keeping Score?

epílogo

I’m not going to tell you that Fernando and I lived happily ever after…because we didn’t. That day proved a lot of things to me. I realized that true love actually exists in the world, no matter how dark or miserable it is. Often people give up on true love because the obstacles that stand in the way are too great or they just feel comfortable with the one they are with.

Fernando showed me that sometimes giving someone a second chance really means giving someone a million and one second chances. It doesn’t matter how many mistakes the person makes, it’s the fact that they come back to make up for it. Fernando needed every chance I gave him to mend my broken heart.

To this day, Fernando and I still have fights; the little daily ones and the ones that lead up to catastrophic fights where we won’t talk for days. But no matter what, we always end back in each other’s arms. That’s just how our relationship works.

We’re taking one step at a time because we have a whole year to make up to each other.

I didn’t end up playing for Liverpool FC for another season; they succeeded in signing Glen Johnson who is a fantastic addition to the team. Instead, Rafa Benitez and his management team offered me a position with their Physiotherapy staff. They say that my technical and theoretical knowledge of the game is something that shouldn’t be wasted.

Xabi eventually did put in a request for a transfer and much to his happiness; Real Madrid picked him up for a suitable contract. I miss him a lot, but I realize that in the last part of the season he changed. He was no longer happy in Liverpool, so the move to Madrid was well-needed. Now, he is closer to his wife and newborn son.

Pepe, Yolanda and their girls now live across the street from Fernando and me. I continued my grandmother’s tradition by having them over for dinner every Thursday night, a big meal to fill the boy’s stomachs before game day.

The past year transformed me into a better person. When I had originally moved to Madrid I had been a quiet and reserved girl, not wanting any social interaction with my co-workers; I hardly had any friends. I let people walk all over me with no second thoughts. Now, I was confident, happy, outgoing and full of life. I now knew what direction I was heading in and I embraced that even if it sent me in a difficult direction.

And now, I’ll leave you with one piece of advice; wear your heart on your sleeve.

It worked for me; it may just work for you.
♠ ♠ ♠
this is the end.

i can't believe that after a year this story has finally come to an end, it makes me kind of sad because i've worked on this for so long that it's tough to finally let this go. i want to thank everyone who commented, it really means a lot to hear what your thoughts and feelings are on my writing.

love, xo