Status: completo

It's A Game, But Who's Keeping Score?

nueve

The realization of the event that had just pasted over took me, and soon my knees buckled underneath. Fernando still held my elbows, so he kept me upright. The uncertainty and concern was evident in his hazel eyes that stared back at me ever so persistently.

“Are you alright?” he asked hurriedly.

I nodded my head slowly before letting my head roll back and the darkness consume me. I could hear the muffled sounds around me, Fernando shouting for a doctor and for security to get the scumbag that probably still lay on the dressing room floor, nursing a surely broken jaw.

The first thing I saw when I woke up was Fernando’s face, he was nervously chewing on one of his fingernails that was a nervous habit of his. I tried to figure out what could be so stressful on him, when I realized that it was me that was making him nervous. His eyes were constantly searching the plane, as if Kevin would pop out of nowhere to snatch me from his arms. Every once in awhile, he would look down at me, to reassure himself that I was still there. After a couple minutes, he finally realized that I was in fact awake and conscious of my surroundings.

“What time is it?” I croaked.

“Close to 2 in the morning,” Fernando said with a weak smile.

I attempted to sit upright, but as soon as I did, I instantly felt dizzy. I groaned and laid my head back down in Fernando’s lap. I didn’t care how awkward the situation was at the moment, I just wanted to feel better.

“You had me so worried mi querido,” he said, brushing away a few stray strands of hair from my face.

I smiled at this simple gesture; I couldn’t help but slightly forgive Fernando for the heartbreaking things he did to me. They would never compare to the things that Kevin did to me, and Fernando saved me from Kevin, so I was indebted to him.

“I owe you big time,” I said, forcing a smile onto my face.

“You owe me nothing,” he said all too quickly, before placing a kiss on my cheek. “Go back to sleep, I’ll wake you before we land.”

The next couple of weeks flew by, we unfortunately lost to Middlesborough, but thankfully we pulled out a win against Sutherland. Last night we went into the next round of the Champion’s League, beating Real 4-0, a game we thoroughly dominated.

I subbed into the game for the last 17 minutes, taking over Fernando who seemed even more excited as he had opened the scoring. Steve really put an emphasis on his return, scoring 2 crucial goals to secure our win. At the end of the game, when we were shaking hands; I could see the hurt and defeat in Iker and Sergio’s eyes, but I also saw hope. They knew I was back to normal, that I was definitely on the right track.

For the first time in a very long time, I felt like my life was finally going the way I wanted to go. I was having a blast living with Pepe and Xabi, they were like the big brothers I never had. Always looking out for me, always wanting to know how I liked practice and such. And to my amazement, I was getting along with Fernando. Ever since the incident in Madrid, I saw him in a different light and I decided that I should give him a second chance...even though it was probably his third or fourth chance.

As I thought about my ever growing friendship with Fernando, I was getting ready to go out to dinner with him.

As friends.

At least, it was just as friends for me. We had often gone out together in a big group, but tonight was the first time we would be alone. I wanted to make a good impression on him, showing that I didn’t need him or any other soccer player boyfriend to make me happy. I searched my closet for my old pair of jeans, my warmest Hurly sweater with a tank top, my chocolate ankle boots and my favourite zebra print clutch. I brushed on a light layer of make-up and then I headed downstairs to wait for Fernando.

“Why is Fernando waiting in our driveway?” Pepe asked, slightly puzzled.

“For me,” I said, making my way to the door. “I have my cell if you need me.”

Xabi waved me goodbye, but Pepe stood stunned. After he didn’t say anything, I headed towards the door. “No, wait!” Pepe jogged up beside me, “What are you doing?”

“I’m going out to dinner with Fernando; he wants to check out this new Spanish restaurant and asked me if I wanted to go.”

“Do you really think that’s a good idea? Just remember what happened in Austria,” Pepe said, his voice full of concern.

“Yeah, but think of what happened in Madrid. He basically saved my life Pepe. The least I can do is try and be friends with him,” I said, reaching for the door.

Pepe beat me to it, looking me straight in the eyes, “We’re having a chat when you get back.” The words triggered a flashback, back when Fernando had driven me home from practice; the look of uncertainty that showed Pepe knew more. “Okay,” I nodded my head.

I flew out the door and into Fernando’s modest car, where he sat humming along with the music. “Took you long enough,” he joked.

“Sorry, Pepe gave me the ‘dating’ talk before I left,” I said jokingly. Fernando laughed along and soon enough we were at the restaurant. It was on the smaller side, but looked like it was a family owned, meaning that it probably was more tight knit.

The dinner was spectacular and even Fernando compared it to his mother’s cooking. The whole evening was a success and I finally felt that Fernando and I could move forward in our friendship and forget about everything that had happened in our past. The drive back to the house was filled with inside jokes that had happened in Austria, and soon we were back in the driveway.

I turned to face Fernando, “Thank you so much for dinner. We’ll have to do it again some time.” I said, pecking him on the cheek. Fernando simply smiled, but looked as if he was debating something. I took my cue to leave, only to be pulled back into the car, and someone pressing their lips against mine. As soon as it started, it was over. I mumbled a goodbye and ran quickly to the door, only to see that it was opened.

And Pepe didn’t look happy.

“My room. Now,” he demanded. I nodded and followed his lead to his bedroom that was on the opposite side of the hall as mine. Pictures of his family adored the walls, along with several posters with both the Liverpool and Spanish National Team insignia.

I sat on his bed, while Pepe paced the room almost in a trance. We remained like that for what seemed like hours, till I finally found the courage to speak up. “Are you going to tell me what’s wrong?”

Pepe stopped his pacing and turned to look at me with a very stern look on his face, he was not happy. “What happened back there in the car?”

“I-uh...I’m not exactly sure. I think Fernando may have kissed me,” I said innocently.

“He kissed you?” Pepe asked, his voice raising. “He kissed you?!

“Yes, he kissed me!” I yelled back, our voices matching in anger. “I don’t see what the problem is with that!”

“You want to know what the problem with that is?” he said, inching forward till he was inches away from my face. I sat frozen and numbly nodded my head.

“The problem with that is Fernando and Olalla are expecting.”

“Expecting what?” I asked, not realizing the obvious answer.

“A baby.”
♠ ♠ ♠
okay, so i'm basically an updating machine. but i'm getting absolutely NO FEEDBACK!

like so far of the two chapters i've posted in the past two days, i've gotten 2 comments from the same person (thank you georgii, i love youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu)

so basically, i'd really like some feedback. it really motivates me and right now i'm on a roll, so maybe with some more comments, i'll post another few chapters by thursday *hint hint*