Status: UPDATE: GOING THROUGH EDITING

Sleeping In A Graveyard

Happy Birthday, Lance

"Ouch!" Marionette ran through the graveyard her parents owned, trying to avoid the old foot stones that were placed there years ago and getting to her old and dear friend, Lance Eldric. It was his birthday today just as it was hers, and every year she would spend her birthday with one of the people in the cemetery that had died here and had shared the same birthday as her. Today she happened to turn seventeen, sadly it was the same age her friend Lance had died so she wanted to spend this birthday by his tombstone singing Happy Birthday' and telling him all about how school was that day.

She was worried, trying to remember where he was buried, but getting only slightly lost along the way, the seasons changing how the cemetery looked in her memory but she had been playing in the cemetery since she was a child so she knew it almost as well was the back of her hand so she quickly found her way again. It was almost midnight and she didn't want to miss the window of opportunity singing happy birthday to Lance because the day was almost over, matches in her pocket and everything. She finally saw his headstone, smiling and running over, plopping herself in front of the head stone.

"Happy birthday, Lance! It's Marionette, and I brought a chocolate cupcake my mom baked for my birthday. I even saved one of the candles to re-light so uh, here we go!" Marionette lit the candle that was already half-melted and began to sing happy birthday to Lance and herself. Once she was done she took a bite and told him what had happened during her day. In the middle of her talking to Lance, she heard laughing. Her heart stopped and she wondered if it was her father, coming outside to bring her back in telling her it was time to get over talking to the dead and start talking to real people.

"Do you always talk to dead people like they can hear you?" Marionette didn't recognize that voice at all, she knew it wasn't her father but it was a man. Slowly she turned and stood up dusting off her black dress and pushing her long brown hair out of her face. She looked up at the guy standing there to see Kaeden Sparks, the most popular guy in school, smiling at her. She looked down and began playing with her dress wondering why someone like him would be in her graveyard.

"What are you doing here?" She asked, her voice not coming out as confidently as it was before. Kaeden saw how shy she was and stepped forward pulling out a small hair clip from his pocket.

"I couldn't sleep, and I had found this while walking around. I decided this was the most peaceful place and then found you singing Happy Birthday to a tombstone." Her pale face reddened and she hid behind her hair that fell down to her waist.

"Oh, yea. I've done that since I was little. Shared my birthday with the dead. Um, well I should get back home before my parents find me out here again." Kaeden chuckled and nodded his head. He stepped forward and took her hand in his and placed the hair clip that he had in her hand.

"Happy birthday, Marionette. See you at school." With that he walked off and hopped the fence back over to the street. Marionette was amazed that he even knew her name and that he could be so kind. She was shocked; he was nothing like how she thought he would be. She looked down at the hair clip he had handed to her and realized it was a silver butterfly with black onyx stones embedded into its wings and antennas, with pearl eyes. Her face flushed again and she couldn't believe she was having this kind of reaction to a boy like Kaeden, someone who every girl in school wanted, and every guy wanted to be.

Marionette always had thought he was attractive with his dark eyes and caramel skin. Sure, he was good at sports and all that, but she would have never thought that Kaeden Sparks would ever in her life talk to her. She was an outcast, a nobody who lived next to a cemetery whose family owned it and a funeral home. She was the freaky girl who liked to talk to dead people that didn't talk back and wear black. Whenever she would wear color they would make even more of a spectacle of her. Why Kaeden even knew her name or spoke to her was strange indeed and baffled her so but she knew better than to just trust him like that.

Sighing, Marionette placed the butterfly clip in her hair and began walking home bidding Lance, goodnight. "I guess I'll talk to you tomorrow. Let you know if anything else happens." As she turned away little did she know, a young boy about the age of seventeen wearing a Led Zeppelin t-shirt and ripped up jeans with a pair of converse appeared right by Lance's tombstone looking almost see-through. His hair was tied back in a small pony-tail; looking admiringly at Marionette's figure walking away.

"Kaeden, huh?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Image