Sequel: Streetlights

Stay Close, Don't Go

Chapter 18

It only took me until lunch to figure out what Janie had whispered to Mercy. Outside at lunch, Mercy was nowhere to be found, while Janie was attempting to avoid me by disappearing down a different hallway. Sadly, I’m not the type to just forget things.

Quickening my pace, I turned down the same hallway as Janie had and basically lunged at her when I got close enough. My hand wrapped around her upper arm and stopped her from walking. I heard her sigh before turning around to look at me.

“Trying to make a get away?” I asked. My voice didn’t bother to hide the annoyance that I currently felt.

“Kind of.” Janie admitted, looking defeated. “I don’t know what to tell you and Mercy left campus for lunch, this is really a bad time.”

“No, this is really a great time. Why exactly didn’t you tell me? I thought we were potential friends.” I started to say. Janie began to open her mouth, as if to talk, but I shook my head and continued speaking, “And why the hell would she pretend it wasn’t her, and that the other ‘girl’ was such a bitch? Isn’t that a tad hypocritical?”

Janie shuffled the books in her arms and tried not to look me directly in the eye. I could tell she was trying to plan out the words in her head. Obviously, she wasn’t doing a great job because she still hadn’t replied, leaving me to stare in anticipation.

“It’s just - damn - I don’t really know what to say.” Janie began to talk but stumbled on her words. I almost laughed.

“How about answering my questions?” My politeness was long gone; out the window. I knew from earlier, that the small friendship we may have had was no longer in existence.

“I didn’t tell you because of Mercy. And Mercy acts like it wasn’t her because she’s convinced herself it was someone else. Don’t ask me how, but some way she’s tried not to remember.” Janie started to say.

That makes sense, Mercy being psycho I mean. It all seemed to fit.

Again, my politeness was nowhere to be found and I couldn’t stop my mouth from talking. “Well in my book, you’re just as bad as she is. Why don‘t both of you just try not to remember we were acquainted.”

With that, I turned and started to walk away, preventing her from getting the last word. In a way, I fel good for sticking up for myself and my thoughts. Then again, the one person I could consider a friend in Sheffield was suddenly gone.

&&

Today Oliver was my way home. Tom had left at lunch for some doctors appointment leaving me to text Oli about a ride to my house.

By the time school was out, my emotions were about to boil over. Unfortunately, Oliver would be the first person to talk to me since my fight earlier. I just hoped I wouldn’t scare him off.

“Aye Madi,” Oliver greeted as I climbed into the front seat. He flashed me a smile, “‘Ow was your day?”

“Oh just great,” I replied sarcastically, not afraid to clearly show my emotions. “Being lied to and burnin’ bridges is just great.”

Oli eyed me as his tattooed fingers held onto the steering wheel. Cautiously, he managed to ask me what was wrong. Then it all seemed to click in my head that it wasn’t just Janie and Mercy that lied, it also happened to be Tom, and Oliver, and all the guys. Everyone but SJ, who I didn’t even know, had kept this from me.

“It’s nothing, I’m just ranting.” I mumbled, obviously lying. Oliver just nodded, not wanting to get on my bad side, and continued to drive in silence.

I knew why I lied. This was something I needed to try and bring up with Tom first, not poke my finger into his brother’s chest and let my tempers flare. For all I knew, they didn’t want to tell me for my better, and I didn’t want to jump to conclusions. Aren’t I nice.

“Yeh know, Tom’s probably home by now, want to just come over?” Oliver asked, not waiting for my reply before he flipped a u-turn and headed in the direction of my house.

Just because I wanted to talk to Tom about everything, didn’t mean I wanted to right now.