Sequel: Streetlights

Stay Close, Don't Go

Chapter 24

Jack`s car held a slightly musty smell, poorly covered up with some scent of Febreze and cologne. It wasn`t anything like Tom`s, which was neat and fresh smelling. Jack was also a bad driver. He swerved with no warnings and drove fast. Again, it was nothing like Tom, who would take chances, but not enough to scare me.

This is how it had been ever since I left the party with Jack. Constant comparisons with Tom and Jack, not that Jack was worth comparing, but at the moment I really wasn`t sure what to do. So I just stared out the window and played mind games with myself.

Jack leaned over and turned down the radio. ``I`m sure it will all work out Madison.`` He told me, fake assurance dripping from his words, ``But hey, while we`re out, yeh want to get something to eat? Might help a little.``

``Uh, yeah. That sounds alright. I am pretty hungry.`` I replied, glancing over at him. Jack smiled and made a quick U-turn, forcing me into the side of my seat.

``There`s a cute little diner a few blocks over.`` He said again, and then continued to ramble on about random things. I was tuning him out though, not too interested in his babbling.

Jack went on and on as he drove those few blocks to the diner. He just couldn`t seem to keep his mouth shut and I was so relieved when we finally pulled up to the restaurant.

``So, how long `ave yeh and Tom been goin` together?`` Jack asked, taking a bit of a French fry. We decided to share a plate of them after realizing neither of us were to keen on actually eating.

``Just a few weeks.`` I replied, also taking a bite. He was still talking too much, but I was putting up with it, he did pay after all.

Jack shook his head with a frown. ``Shame it ended after such a short time.`` He said. My head snapped up in his direction, my mouth nearly falling open.

``We`re not over yet, Jack.`` I told him, pushing the plate away from me. My appetite was suddenly gone. ``I`m going to need to talk with him about everything.``

``All I`m sayin`,`` Jack started to add, ``Is that he looked pretty close with Mercy. Once yeh hit a certain point, talkin` won`t help yeh much.``

Disgusted with him at the moment, I grabbed my purse. ``Can we go now? I really just want to get home and sleep.``

``Yes, sure, let`s go.`` Jack agreed and stood up with me, placing money on the table. As I walked past him, heading for the door, he placed his hand on the middle of my back, leading me out. In a way, it comforted me, but in another, it made me remember I didn`t really like him.

Once back in the car, Jack finally staid quiet. He looked like he was lost in his own thoughts. Finally, he spoke, ``So where do yeh live?``

``A few blocks from the school, once you get there, I can give you directions.`` I replied, focusing my eyes out the window again.

Jack turned down some side street. ``I know a short cut to get there.`` He told me, smiling in my direction. I didn`t like his smile.

Jack turned again, this time into a small neighborhood, before driving out of it again and onto a small road. I`d completely lost which direction we were headed in, and it was making me fidget in my seat. Soon, Jack was slowing down, conveniently under a burnt out street light.

``Why are we stopping?`` I asked, turning in my seat to face Jack. My voice was slightly shaky, and I was struggling to control it.

Jack shrugged and smirked a little, ``Thought we could enjoy the night. It`s still pretty early, we could still turn you`re sucky night around.``

I gulped. ``No, I just want to get home. Really, can we just go, my night is over.`` I rambled oddly, not liking the fact that I was alone in the car with him, and that he was slowly inching closer to my side of the cabin.

``Aw, c`mon Madison, I`m not that bad. Why don`t yeh give me a chance?`` He cooed, starting to lean over the center console of the car and closer to me. This is when I realized he had child-locked me inside the car.

``Jack, I really think you should just take me home.`` I said, my voice stern. He was scaring me, and I could no longer move further away. ``Please, just let me out or take me home.`` I was hoping he would go for the first.

Jack shook his head and unhooked his seat belt before moving quickly and pushing me against the window and door. I responded and pushed back against him, having no real effect on the guy twice my size.

He sneered down at me. ``Don`t try to get away, Madison. We`ll both like this.`` And with that, he forced him self on me, his lips crashing down to mine painfully and his hands prying their way to my thighs.

I freaked out, snapped. After letting out a pathetic whimper and figuring out that struggling wasn`t working for me, I paused for a moment, taking in my surroundings. Jack was on me, his hands nearing closer to my waist, and he was pressed so tightly to me I couldn`t breath. His lips were working against mine, with no response from me. There was too much pressure; I couldn`t bite, scream, nothing.

So I did the next best thing. I reeled my head back as far as the window would allow, before forcing it back forward quickly. My forehead caught Jack`s painfully and he parted from me just long enough for him to hit me across the face, and me to bring my knee up between his legs.

Jack groaned loudly and fell backwards into the drivers seat. Ignoring the stinging on my cheek, I took this time to my advantage and reached across Jack, unlocking all the doors, before I grabbed my bag and jumped out of the car.

As I heard Jack complain from inside, I retrieved my house keys from my purse and dug them into the side of his car and slowly dragged them from the front door to the license plate, happy with the scratching noise and my improved revenge. I ran off before Jack could recover and find me.�