Sequel: Streetlights

Stay Close, Don't Go

Chapter 7

“I miss American T.V.” My mom muttered, clicking the buttons on the remote. I disagree with her. Television programs in England are way better, and their commercials had enough sexual humor to last me a year.

She didn’t really want a reply so I kept my mouth shut and continued getting ready. It was morning, and for some reason, I had woken up a good two hours early and now there was still thirty minutes before I needed to leave for school. Why couldn’t this have happened yesterday?

Sitting on the couch next to my mom, I rested my foot on the cushion and began to tie my shoes before getting back up. Grabbing my bag I turned towards my mom, “I think I’m going to go a bit early.”

She nodded and waved to me, directing her attention back to the news. She didn’t have work until ten, which is when I wished school started.

Outside the air was brisk on my skin. I pulled on my jacket and adjusted my bag. We didn’t live too far from the school so I offered to walk. I figured it would make things easier for the time being. Sadly, my iPod was currently laying in my bedroom not charged so I was forced to listen to my feet and street sounds as I walked.

Along with the street sounds was the nearing and slowing noise of a car. Tilting my head slightly I looked at the little black car with the two familiar faces inside. I scoffed at myself, this was so typical.

“Oi, mornin’ Madison, yeh want a ride?” Of course it was Oliver who was speaking through the window since Tom was distracting himself with his camera. Oliver eyed me before talking once more, “Or better yet, just get in the car, yeah?”

I nodded and approached slowly, pulling on the cold door handle and sliding into the back seat. Oliver turned and grinned at me. He wasn’t as bad as some people made it seem.

“Thanks,” I told him, shutting the door and slipping my seatbelt on. He nodded and started to drive the car again.

From the back, I watched Tom lean forward and fiddle with the radio before finding a station that suited him before leaning back into his seat. He turned his head and glanced my way for a second, obviously forcing a small smile before turning back. He made things so awkward.

Not minding the silence, I leaned back into the seat and pulled out my phone, starting to play one of those little games on it. Not too long after, the car was stopping and Oliver was instructing us to get out.

I was the first out, telling Oliver thanks before shutting the door. As Tom climbed out, Oliver started to tell him something I don’t think I was supposed to hear, “Yeh had no problem talking about her yesterday after school, ‘ow about talking to her now, yeah?”

Glancing at Tom quickly, I saw a blush creep up on his neck before he slammed the door and stepped back waving slightly, as if to reassure that Oliver would pick him up after school, before he turned to me. I smiled and looked away, starting to walk towards the school.

I was testing to see if he would talk to me or not. So far, he’s pretty much failing this test.

So the awkward walking continued. He didn’t speed up or slow down. Instead he, surprisingly, staid next to me until we reached our first class. What surprised me more than him actually walking next to me was the fact he also opened the door for me. It took a lot for me not to grin like a fool as I slipped into the room, him following.

I heard an odd noise behind me and a bright light went off in the room, causing Tom to talk. “Shit, fucking camera.”

Looking at him, slightly startled by the light and his voice, I noticed the button of his camera jammed down. Accidentally, I began to laugh, causing him to look up at me. Bringing my hand up, I covered my mouth but it didn’t help my obvious giggles.

“ ‘s not funny,” He mumbled, inspecting his camera. Woah, did he really just speak to me? “I think I’ve broken it.”

“Let me see?” I asked, my voice quiet and cautious. He looked down at his camera, probably an expensive one, before holding it out to me hesitantly.

Taking it, I held it gingerly and looked at it. I bite my lip lightly, hoping Tom wouldn’t get made at me, before I flicked the top of the camera, hitting the button. It popped out of it’s jammed position, looking good as new, and I handed it back to Tom.

He smiled, just slightly though, and took the camera, lifting his gaze to mine. “Thanks.”

With a nod, I turned and walked towards my desk. To him, I bet I looked calm and collected, but really I had butterflies flapping their wings annoyingly in my stomach and my heart was about to beat its way through my ribcage.

Before I had time to look at him again, or attempt another small conversation, the bell rang and everyone filed into the room.

Not even five minutes into the class and what Janie told me yesterday was confirmed. Soon, Preston was rambling on about group science fair project. Oh the joys.

“Yeh all will ‘ave a partner. And I decided against a hat deciding. Yeh can pick your own with my approval. Now pair up!” He said. Soon, the whole class was moving around while I stood there and watched.

As if a plan, Mercy ran over to Janie and latched on to her arm, now staring at me. This was them saying, descretely through their eyes, Go ask Tom.

Biting my lip slightly, I turned my head and looked in his direction. As if expecting me to, he was already looking back. I bit my lip now and glanced back at Janie and Mercy who raised their eyebrows at me.

Taking a leap of confidence, I looked back to Tom and pointed at him and then back at me, my eyes questioning. He watched for a second, taking more time than needed, before nodding his head.