Son of the Devil's Wench

Pitter Patter

The cool rain that fell over the empty, gray, street was soft against his battered skin, the gentle 'Pitter-Patter' of water against his face made even the current morbid situation somewhat better, even in his dull, broken eyes.

Jared lent against the harsh stone wall, his right eye stung, his chest burned, and his knees felt like they where going to crumple underneath him, but still he stood, facing the gang of rough teen 'boys' that had done this to him. "Come on Trashy, you gonna pay us, or your gonna try and fight again?" Jared had tried to fight, that was why his knuckles where aching, he remembered that, he remembered trying to punch the biggest boy, Mike, in the head, but it had only ended with his own head pressed into the ground. So, painfully, Jared handed over his money, barely three pounds in small change, but it was all he had.

"Is this is Fly Boy?" Mike sneered, throwing the change at Jared's head. "Always less then a fiver when your daddy is stacked." The whole gang, five or six in number, all closed in closer around the scrawny black haired boy. Their fists clenched, ready to give Jared the second worse beating in his life. "

"Mikey, stop it." It was like the voice of an angel, and that voice had been Jared's saving grace more then once before. "Mikey, leave him alone please." The voice belonged to Rachel Swan.

Rachel was beautiful, long blond hair, light but piercing brown eyes. A homely shaped face, sharp but with soft, full lips. The only problem was that she was Mike's girl.

"He's taken more then a beating off you today," Rachel whispered into Mike's eyes as she draped her arms around him neck and pecked him lightly on the lips. "And if he's too broken the school is going to get shifty." Jared sniffed, whipping the blood away from his nose as the gang broke off from him, all walking towards the main school building that had only been twenty feet away. It was a light touch on his shoulder that stopped Jared from hacking the blood from his throat and mouth, it was Rachel's light touch.

"Come on String Bean, let's walk." Jared stared, open mouthed, as Rachel helped him hobble to the school's low brick wall and helped him tidy himself up. "Promise me something String Bean," Jared looked up at the golden girl in front of him watching as she thought about what she was going to say, and as she pulled a pocket pack of tissue from her bag and handed it to him. "Stay out of Mikey's way, you piss him off more then most people. And if he had his way, you would already be six feet under."

"Thanks," Jared spat the words out as he took the tissues and used one of them to wipe the blood from the cut above his eyebrow. "But I think I already figured that out." Rachel smirked as she cuffed him up over the back of the head before walking away. "Well then String Bean, if you already knew how come your always a mess." Was all she called over her shoulder as she sauntered up to the school building, the door swinging shut behind her as the ghost of the school bell echoed out over the gray brick yard.

"Because," Jared Whispered as he got to his feet and started hobbling across the deserted ground to the door. "Mikey isn't the only one I seem to piss off."