Son of the Devil's Wench

Numbing Pleasantness

Pain didn't even register anymore, not after tonight, not after the knife and the whip, the red fire poker and the salt, after all that, the rain was definitely just the numbing pleasantness after a brutal storm, this was almost normal life.

Lydia's house name was The Devil's Wench, but in fact Lydia was the only one of the girls that lived in the mansion that Jared really even knew. She was also the only girl who would even talk to him, let alone look after him. It had been she who had saved Jared from the clutches of the man, it had been she who had responded to Jared's cries before The Man had done anything to Jared. "What they do to you is wrong baby." Lydia said as she cleaned Jared up, helped him wash his new scars and dress, ready for another day. "You're too young to be taking such a beating."

"But it doesn't make a difference does it?" Jared spat as he slipped on a white shirt, one that looked like it had fallen out of a old Victorian movie. "To Him," Jared gritted his teeth. "I'm just another of his concubines."

"Oh, come now baby," Lydia whispered as she sat down on her wide black sheeted bed and patted the space next to her. "You're not a whore, you may not be treated like his son, but you are definitely not one of his whores." Jared sighed as he sat next to the young woman, looking at her, watching her. Watching Lydia was one of Jared's fun things to do. When she wasn't 'working' and he wasn't being beaten he would come down to her room and watch her.

She was fair skinned like Jared himself was, white skin barely blemished with any kind of mark, and soft blue eyes hidden under waves upon waves of ebony black hair. That was mainly why Jared like looking at her, she looked so much like him, like a sister, or even a mother. "I am a whore Master's son and most likely the son of a whore, so therefore a Whore myself." Jared recited monotonously, his white face blank, but his gold-green eyes alight with hatred. "Calm your eyes little one." Lydia smiled as she picked up his chin and looked him in the eye, her own blue ones shinning with a light that most people never saw. "It's not something that is going to change in a hurry, so please, sleep now, sleep and dream."

Slowly Lydia drew the black silk sheets of the large bed and helped Jared settle down between them, it was when his eyes where drifting shut did she lean towards him and kiss him softly on his forehead, whispering under her cool chocolate breath. "Good night, my Little one..."

It was in the gentle folds of Lydia's arms and the embrace of dreams did Jared remember his early years...the years when Lydia had been around him so often, watched him, cared for him. Lydia was more then his friend, Jared's brain finally spit out. Lydia is the only thing we have that come even close to a mother!

"Oh how I wish it where true." Jared muttered in his sleep as Lydia looked on and watched him, watched him from her black velvet chair by the fire and smiled as she toyed with a tiny crumpled picture in a tiny silver picture frame.