Son of the Devil's Wench

Broken Street

He stumbled, his knees hit the ground first, the skin already broken, red raw and bloody. It was at that contact that his voice first broke through the rain, first broke through the shrouded veil that fell around the gray, broken street, first broke through his barrier.

Monday morning was the epitome of hell as Jared walked the half mile from the mansion to the large gray stoned building that was school, or as Jared called it Hell away from home.

Confusing though it was that particular Monday morning to not see Mike or any of the gang waiting for him, like they where most mornings; but instead to see Rachel, sitting on the low wall, her hand folded in her prefect lap, waiting for someone. Jared, confused though he was didn't think anything of it until his 'name' broke through the crisp morning air, sounding even somewhat heavenly. "Hey String Bean," Jared head snapped up, his new wounds protesting, but his eyes sought those of the beautiful girl who had called upon him. "Be a gentleman and walk me to class," She paused, then added. "Please."

Jared's mind spun, first for the reason that Rachel had been waiting for him, not Mike, nor any of his cronies. Second that she had even addressed him, never mind the fact that it had been another cruel nickname that had been thought up because of his height and skinniness, but she had addressed him none the same. And third because she was waiting alone...alone, no Mike, so escort, but save him, Jared.

Rachel stood up, dusting off the back of her short blue pleated skirt, as she smiled at him and called out. "Are you coming? Or do I have to go looking for another String Bean to walk me to class?" It was when she picked up her bag and threw it over her shoulder did Jared rush over to her side and relieve her of the brown leather purse that Rachel had somehow forced her school books into, that she laughed and punched him lightly on the arm. "You're alright String Bean," She said softly as Jared held open the door for the lady, then crossed the threshold himself.

"See you in Maths?" Rachel's tone was almost questioning as Jared handed her bag back to her in front of the Advanced English room, and even surrounded by students though they where Jared smiled softly and nodded. "Maths." He said then quickly turned and strode away from the angelic girl that has talked to him and the twenty or so other kids that had watched Jared smile; The smile that had never been seen by the student body ever in the recorded history of the school.

The only problem with the day or so it seemed to the still bashful Jared as he wondered into his own classroom for morning lesson was that in order to make it to the date with Rachel: Jared would have to endure a whole hour of Mike and his boys picking at him. Something that Jared, for one, wasn't looking forwards too.

"Fly Boy, your in my seat." Jared momentarily took his nose out of his book to look up at the massive boy towering above him. Mike worked very hard to look menacing from almost every angle, but somehow, in amongst all the hard work of bulling people he still managed to practice this particular skill and had managed to master it. Jared's own particular skill at showing no fear was working very hard not to show how scared he truly was. "I said Move!" Mike's hand was just about to close around Jared's throat when help arrived, not exactly in the way Jared would have hope, but none the less it was in some, way, shape, or form, help.

"Mister King," The tiny woman from the front office nasaled from the classroom door. "You have a phone call."